Sunday 6 February 2011

The Thistle of Scotland


Every Sunday I'm going to bring you a wee bit of Scottishness!

Today I'll tell you about the thistle of Scotland - our national emblem.

It can be found on all things Scottish, including our coins.



Here's the story (or legend) of how this came about -


From the Book of Scottish Anecdote

As you can imagine, it wouldn't be easy to incorporate thistles into flower arrangements - so what we do is use eryngium (sea holly) in floral bouquets and corsages.  It has similar colour and shape, but is a lot less jaggy (Scottish word for prickly)!  Very popular for wedding corsages if the guys are wearing kilts.

By the way, the latin motto means -

No one provokes me with impunity.

So be warned!!!!!!!

Hope you enjoyed that wee snippet from Scotland!

Love, Liz

4 comments:

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Thanks for sharing, Liz! We get a lot of wild thistle in our area, I've always thought it was pretty in a field...I think they are pretty in dried arrangements, too!

Catherine said...

Happy to've met you on blogland! I love Scotland,the west coast is my favorite, so beautiful!I took my son two years ago and we've travelled together through the country, it was our mother and son trip.He is studying in Paris and told me today he would rather be in Scotland , looking at the beautiful scenaries and have no stress!Will have a look at your blog now, see you soon! Catherine

Sylvia said...

Hello Liz,
I've just found your blog, Scotland really interests me.
Nice story about the thistle !
Lovely wishes,
Sylvia

Shortbread and Ginger said...

Many thanks for all your lovely comments.
Liz