Thursday 1 September 2011

A Visit to Greenock Cemetery

If I said I had an interesting trip up to the cemetery today - would I sound a bit odd!?!?  (Perhaps you shouldn't answer that!)


Took loads of photos - it was so interesting!


It was established in 1846 when there was no room left in the old cemetery in Inverkip Street.  It has some marvellous carved tombstones - some are quite ornate.


Some are just plain, but no less touching in the sentiments they convey.


Mother with baby at breast - how touching and sad!


There is something about cemetery sculpture which is so moving!  Especially the ones where lots of children from the family died in infancy.


Click to see more detail - it is in memory of "Little Neil" - oh how sad!
Actually saw a young deer, but didn't get my camera out in time to take photo, unfortunately.  Did see lots of squirrels and birds, though.


Hope you don't think this is too morbid!

Love, Liz

13 comments:

sara said...

Hi Liz, I don't think it's morbid.......death is a part of life, the sculpture of the mother and baby brought a lump to my throat........so many children died before the age of five back then, thank goodness things are different now.

lily x

Unknown said...

Beautiful photo's. I find cemetery's really calm peaceful places...not at all morbid. a lovely post xx
Sophie

Shortbread and Ginger said...

Thanks - mother and baby sculpture is so emotional. You are right - we are so lucky that we have modern medicine. Makes you wonder how those mother coped. Their hearts must have been broken.
Liz

Scarlett said...

I love looking around old cemeteries, i do find it emotional however to see the little one's graves, so very sad, esp the mother and baby stone carving you pictured :o(

Great post Liz

Scarlett x

lucy joy said...

Cemeteries offer so much - a glimpse to the past, simple dates giving such a direct glimpse at the finality of life. Peace and tranquillity, beauty, a renewed sense of appreciation..you're not alone in your fascination!
Stunning photography, you've really captured the aura of the cemetery, with a touching respect for the subjects.

Lucy x

Little Nell said...

There is a fascination we have with old gravestones and memorials, but these are beautiful carvings and so well photographed. I thought it said ‘Little Nell’ at first and then I realised it said it was a boy called Neil. Gave me quite a turn!

Kylie said...

I think old cemetries are fascinating places to poke around in...sad without a doubt, but always interesting...

Trashsparkle said...

Lovely photos Liz. I'm a cemetery "fan" too; they're tranquil, fascinating and full of stories about those from a different time. x

Tina said...

I think the cemeteries here in the UK are amazing, interesting. If I wasn't so freaked out by cemeteries in general I would go around photographing them too. Your pictures are gorgeous!
xx

Karen S Booth said...

Wonderful photos and I love cemeteries too, they are so peaceful and interesting.
Karen

Anna at the Doll House said...

I don't find anything morbid or spooky about visiting cemeteries. After all, they are places of remembrance and, these days, often the most peaceful place in the heart of busy towns and villages.

I really enjoyed your pictures of the Victoria Tower. Now that's what I call scary.

Anna

Tabbyroo said...

Not odd at all, I like to look around cemeteries, especially like the carved angel faces, beautiful photography Linda xx

Ava said...

I find cemeteries serene and beautiful... a lot of love congregates there. Lovely photo's Liz xx Ava