Saturday 8 October 2011

Towers and Turrets

Who do you think would live in a place like this?


Towers and turrets .................... pinnacles and spires.


A  pretty princess perhaps, or a dastardly duke?


No - actually its the Greenock Sheriff Court building! 


Finished in 1869, it is built in the Scottish baronial style of architecture.  Part of the 19th century gothic revival, it incorporates many elements from medieval buildings, such as the turrets and towers.


Greenock Sheriff Court

I think it looks like a fairytale castle from certain angles.  The reality is much more mundane.


Newark Castle
To see original medieval architecture, check out my post on Newark Castle in Port Glasgow.

Love, Liz

10 comments:

Kylie said...

It reminds me of Sleeping Beauty's castle in Disneyland Liz, there's nothing mundane about it in your pics at all.

21 Wits said...

Oh my, princess or no princess...that is one stunning and captivating building...and you did a marvelous job in showing us all that it offers...now if only one could see some of the inside! Although if you mention Sheriff, does that mean it's got a jail inside too? Amazing....

Jem said...

There's something about buildings like that which sets the imagination alight. I think a dastardly duke who doesn't spare the horses when travelling and treats his wife with cruel contempt would be just the fit!

Your pictures are always interesting, Liz. Not mundane!

Jem xXx

Mum said...

It certainly does look like a fairy or My Little Pony castle. The pinky colour of the stone makes it look quite pretty close to but looking from afar it takes on a more mysterious air.
Love from Mum
xx

Shortbread and Ginger said...

It is still used as a court building. Needless to say it is a busy place! Haven't been inside (yet) hopefully will get next doors open day - and not because I've been a naughty girl!
Liz

Diane said...

Its fairly Harry Potterish! Lovely. Just catching up with you and loved the Jackie post and also your gorgeous china on the previous post. xxxx

Anonymous said...

its a lovely building I'd live there if I was asked to so many rooms to make pretty
xx fee

Vintage Sweetheart said...

A gorgeous castle it makes me wish I was a princess.

Karen S Booth said...

I LOVE Glasgow, when I lived there many years ago I spent my days off visiting all the great architectural sites and museums, galleries, this is great!
Karen

Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

Very beautiful! Your architectural history is so much more beautiful and romantic than anything we have here in the states. Who would ever think to put turrets on a courthouse!

-Pam