Sunday 13 November 2011

Delicate Thistle

At last - after finding lots and lots of shamrocks, I've eventually found a little cloth with an embroidered thistle!  Yeah!!!!!


It is absolutely beautiful - so fine and delicate, the fabric is very sheer.


It measures about 43 x 43 inches and has beautiful scalloped edging.  Wonder what it was used for?


Made me think of the time when I was little and went to a "posh" friend's birthday party.  Her Mum had prepared the sandwiches, cakes etc and they were all on the table with a cloth just like this over them - probably to keep dust and flies from settling on the food before we got stuck in!  Wonder if that is what this is for?


I just love it and if you want to know why the thistle became Scotland's emblem, then you can check out my post about that.


Looking forward to seeing what you have found this week over at Flea Market Finds.

Love, Liz

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Just wanted to leave a little Thank You. I noticed that you linked this post to a linky party that I didn't know about. Linked my post from yesterday about the chippy window. Thanks!

Rachael said...

That is really pretty - perhaps it was something like a table runner for a coffee table. Either way its gorgeous to be in such great condition upon such thin material. x

Jem said...

This is really prettily embroidered! Love it!

Jem xXx

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

That's lovely, so detailed with the heather as well. I didn't know why it was the emblem actually - did soldiers not wear shoes in those days? Ouch!

21 Wits said...

Oh my this is beautiful! Isn't it funny in everyday life for me anyway, how some of my most favorite blooms can be on weeds! They have some of the most lovely flowers. I did discover a stunning new flower while on vacation, if only I could grow those, Bird of Paradise, and they do resemble a bird! Very cool too!

Scarlet said...

That's so pretty Liz and the colours look so vibrant. I'm going to go and read your post about how the thistle became the emblem of Scotland. K's fiance is Scottish, and when she graduated this year I gave her a thistle brooch to pin her robes with.

Vintage Gal said...

The cloth with the thistle is absolutely adorable. Enjoy it~! ;-)

Little Nell said...

That’s gorgeous. Perhaps it was used on a dressing table. They used to have trays for their combs etc and I remember my Gran crocheted lacy cloths for them

Celestial Charms said...

Very pretty and oh so delicate looking!
Maureen

Max said...

Oh it's gorgeous Liz! I think your right re it being a sandwich tray cover; very ladylike x

A Treasured Past said...

Hi Liz, gorgeous cloth. I would think that you are right that it is a food cover. I have a few sheer ones also and my mum said that is what they were used for. They are great to cover cakes etc because they are so light. Enjoy your week, Tam x

The Green Lady said...

I found a lovely very sheer cloth with crinoline ladies embroidered on and was wondering what it was for. A food cover makes perfect sense. Much nicer than cling film!

50 and counting said...

I have the same cloth! Had it about 25 years. It was a gift from someone that had been to Scotland and thought it would remind me of "home"