Tuesday 1 November 2011

Scottish Dumpling

I made a traditional Scottish dumpling last night.  When I was young, we always had dumpling at Hallowe'en.  Usually there were a couple of little charms or a sixpenny piece inside, wrapped in greaseproof paper.  Getting one of those was a great thrill. 


We used to dress up and go out on galoshsans - going round the neighbours and having to "do a turn" - sing a song, tell a joke or do a wee dance.  In return we were given fruit and nuts.  Then we would usually go to a friends house and have a party.  One of the highlights was trying to get a piece of treacle scone - they were  hung from a string across the room, just above head height - only problem was that you were blindfolded and had to keep your hands behind your back! Very messy!  Then we would "dook for apples".  The apples were put in a basin of water and you had to get one out by leaning over the basin and trying to catch one in your teeth - at least it cleaned the treacle from our faces! The party usually ended by one of the grown ups telling scary stories. It was such fun and we really looked forward to Hallowe'en. 


Here's my recipe for dumpling - I've had it for years.  I can't remember who I got it from, but it's in me wee recipe book where I keep all the recipes which have been handed down to me.


Traditionally dumplings were cooked in a piece of muslin cloth - the "clootie dumpling" - a lovely skin forms on these which I love.  I cook mine in a lidded pudding basin, but you can just cover an ordinary pudding basin with greaseproof paper or a piece of muslin. 


I also like dumpling as a pudding - with custard.  Some Scots like to fry a piece of dumpling as part of a traditional cooked breakfast. 

Give this recipe a try - you won't be disappointed!

Love, Liz

9 comments:

A Whole Lotta Magic said...

Lovely! Can I come over and help you with those, lol!

Sue
xo

Jacqui said...

Wonderful. We always had dumpling at Halloween - it was my Papa's birthday on that day - gosh, he would have been 113 yesterday. In Lewis it is known as duff. xxx

Mum said...

Sounds delicious. I'll have to give it a go. If you come on over to my blog you can share this recipe with all the guests at the Virtual Tea Party. It would be lovely to see you there.
Love from Mum
xx

Kylie said...

I love your little recipe book Liz, and the stories of what you did when you were a child to celebrate Halloween...much more fun than the stuff kids do today x

Danielle's Heartfelt Home said...

Hi Liz,

I love hearing about your traditions in Scotland! The dumplings look yummy. I am going to give them a try ; ) They Would go great with my morning coffee.
Happy November!

Danielle

blackenpot said...

I remember dumplings, don't make them here, because they don't sell suet.

I do remember the game with the apples in the basin and getting soaking wet trying to get the apple.

Enjoy your day.

Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

What nice traditions and fond memories you have of Halloween! Nothing like here where I live. If I could sustitute the suet, I would love to try your dumpling recipe!

-Pam

Dawn said...

Hi Liz, Just a quick question about mixed spice (we don't have it in the US). When I googled ingredients for mixed spice, the suggestions were inconsistent; cinnamon plus some combination of either allspice, nutmeg, ginger, mace, cardamom, or cloves. Would you please share what is in the mixed spice you use so that I can get an authentic flavour. Thanks for your wonderful blog...I love to "treasure hunt" as well.

Shortbread and Ginger said...

Just checked out the mixed spice jar and here's what's in it - cinnamon, coriander, nutmeg, clove, pimento and ginger. I think that its very much a matter of taste and if I didn't have already mixed spice I would probably just add some nutmeg and clove, since cinnamon and ginger are already included. I add a wee bit more spice than is in the recipe.
Hope this helps.
Liz