Monday 28 November 2011

Shipwrecked

The recent loss of some of the crew and the sinking of the ship Swanland in the Irish Sea during bad weather shows that even with modern technology, mother nature can be an extremely powerful force.

During the days of sail, the power of nature claimed many lives at sea.  As a port, Greenock and her inhabitants relied on trade and shipping.  Many local people lost their lives in shipping disasters all over the world.  My own great-grandfather was one of them.

 
My Gran
 My Grandmother's father, Alex, was born in 1862 in Argyll.  The family moved to Greenock in about 1864 and like many local boys, Alex went to sea as soon as he could.  Luckily, my great-grandmother had kept many "Certificate of Discharge" notices from some of his voyages and passed them on to someone in the family.  I photocopied them many years ago (sorry for the poor quality) and gave them back to my Gran, but I have no idea what happened to them.  They are a valuable source of information.


The earliest dates from a voyage which he took in 1881, as a sailmaker on the ship "Baron Aberdare" from Greenock to San Francisco.  He signed on in March 1881 and returned in February 1882.  He married my great-grandmother Kate, in 1884 and despite his long absences from home, they had (at least) eight children!

The only photograph I have of Kate.
He travelled far - Sydney, Calcutta, Java, Singapore - and seems to have stayed with the same ship for years at a time, transporting cargo all over the world.


However, his final voyage took place in 1908 on the ship Amazon, a four masted vessel carrying a cargo of coal bound for Chile.  There were a few other Greenock men in the crew.  On 1 September, there was a terrible storm and the ship became stranded near Port Talbot and such were the winds that the Amazon began to break up.  Some local people bravely tried to save as many of the crew as they could by wading out and trying to reach those struggling to shore.  A rescue boat was sent out, and some of the crew were saved.  But twenty men, including the Captain died. 

I would love to visit the area sometime - I believe that the remains of the wreckage are still visible on Margam Sands.  My Gran was just a young girl when her father died, so she barely knew him and I only found out the details of his death after she, too, had died. 


It must have been a difficult life for my great-grandmother and all the other women in the same position.  Long absences with no regular means of keeping in touch and the financial uncertainty.  Then as a widow with a large family to provide for - tough times.  Kate died in 1932 - the family remembered her as a tough, but loving woman.

Lets take a little time to remember the families waiting and hoping right now.

Love, Liz

8 comments:

Rachael said...

You can only half imagine how awful it must have been not hearing someone for that long. Thank you for sharing your family tale - hearing peoples real experiences always bring such stories to life. Kate indeed looks a very strong willed women. You did right on photocopying all those details, it's a shame when things get lost within the family - i'll have to remember that tip for myself.

Used-to-Bees said...

I too have a great grandfather who went to sea (in fact he ran away to sea!) about the same time. He was shipwrecked twice I think. I am jolly glad that the sea-faring gene seems to have ended with my own father, who was in the Merchant navy, but left after my sister was born. My heart goes out to those whose loved ones have been involved in this tragedy.
x

Mum said...

Such a sad story. I am in awe of the sea and the weather. As you say Mother Nature is extremely powerful.
Love from Mum
xx

La Vie Quotidienne said...

What a fabulous story. You are so lucky to have thought to copy down these records. Although my great grandfather was not a sailor, he too died young and left his wife to raise her children alone in Scotland. Such sad tales...and such heroic women.

BusyLizzie said...

Fascinating history. Thank you so much for sharing. Lizzie x

sara said...

How wonderful to have such history in your family, although sad for those who've lost dear ones to the sea.......women had to be strong in such times, with children to bring up alone. x

Ann said...

Very poignant story, Liz. I'm a landlocked U.S. Midwesterner with no exposure to the sea and its treachery. From this distance, I'm in awe of its power. At a closer range, I might be fearful. Thanks for sharing. Thanks, too, for visiting and leaving your kind comment.

Catherine said...

Such a fascinating story of your family.