Wednesday 14 December 2011

Have you heard about the Post Office that ran out of stamps?

Actually it's not a joke!  The Post Office in Gourock ran out of second class stamps yesterday!  I was down to post some gifts and there was an enormous queue.  They did have a little hand-written sign up to say that they had run out, but lots of people were there to post parcels and do other business as well as buy stamps. The ladies behind the counter were telling folk that they wouldn't be getting any in till Friday morning at the earliest! 

Hello ........ it's Christmas card posting time!!!!
Did no one mention it????
What happened to forward planning????


I thought this was a bit ridiculous, considering that every year we are bombarded with ads telling us to post early for Christmas!  I dread having to go to the Post Office, the queues are horrendous and the Greenock Post Office is now upstairs at W H Smith - not the best place, in my opinion!  That's why I was at Grourock, despite the 70 mph winds!


I stopped sending Christmas cards about five years ago and I have to say that I don't regret it.  For the first few years I felt a bit guilty, but now I'm really glad I stopped!


Thought you might like a wee look at some stamps from Christmas past.


I have a confession to make - a few weeks ago I took the backings from old Christmas stamps so that I could do some crafting with them.  Once they were dry, I put them inside a big book to flatten them.

Dear reader ... I cannot remember which book!


Love, Liz


14 comments:

Loo xx from Jumbles and Pompoms said...

Blimey, Liz, what a ridiculous to-do. Post Offices running out of stamps at Xmas, I mean. Bonkers. Another ridiculous to-do is forgetting what book you've popped your stamps in. That is exactly the sort of thing I would do. I really hope you find them as I'm desperate to see what craft activity you have in mind for them! xx

bellaboo said...

Well...I've heard it all now...a post office running out of stamps...crazy!
I haven't got the patience to queue,so unless I have to get something weighed,I buy my stamps from the supermarket. ;o)

blackenpot said...

Well you cannot get stamps, the whole of Norway has run out of best butter! And just when you need it the most.

What strange things can happen. Sorry I've not been blogging, I'm still struggelig with thwe virus I caught when I was at home.

Enjoy your stamp free days.

Deborah said...

That's just crazy talk!! maybe we could make some stamps ourselves and sell them?! ;)

Bee happy x
Have a delicious day!

Karen S Booth said...

I WANT to support the Royal Mail, but things like this make me feel totally justified for not sending mail and sending home-made e-cards instead! I LOVE the Christmas stamps, we do them so well in the UK!

two bones and a bagle said...

You are not alone - i live in South Yorkshire and my local PO had run out of second class stamps too - they were shouting down the line - no second class stamps - lol. Not very organised. I wish I was brave enough not to send any cards at Christmas although a few years ago when i asked (told) hubby that he could do his side of family he didnt send one and do you know what I dont think anyone even noticed.

Kandi said...

Lol nothing suprises me with the Post Office and Royal Mail, if there were another viable option they would go bust!
Kandi x

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

Ha, I can imagine doing that. Have you returned any library books recently? ;-)

Sylvia said...

Oh my, a post office without stamps, rather funny !
Hope you can remember which book, Liz :-)
Hugs,
Sylvia

Anne said...

Hard to believe isnt it? I loved looking at the stamps from the past.X

Little Nell said...

The UK does do lovely Christmas stamps.

Heidi said...

I too stopped sending Christmas cards a couple of years ago. I was going to send them again but started to figure the postage costs for them to the US and realized it would be better to throw away the cards which only cost 1.79 euro for the first 10 than to send them at a cost of over 20 euros when I get the last few cards purchased. In these times, you think twice about it.

What pretty stamps you have!

Hugs from Holland ~
Heidi

Diane said...

You have to wonder about the organisation of it all - no wonder they struggle making a profit! Love your collection of Christmas stamps. x

David said...

I am coming to the conclusion that the Post Office is fast becoming a non viable organisation. I have just suffered the same misfortune afer queuing at a sub post office in Stapleton, Bristol which had the obligatory one person behind the counter. When I was close to being served I noticed a hand written sign advising that they had run out of both 1st and 2nd class stamps. Just as I would never expect to buy a box of matches which did not have a means of striking them, I would never believe that I could walk into a post office and find they had run out of stamps. Or have I a misguided idea of the services they now provide?