Saturday 17 March 2012

Twinsets and Ponytails

Had a look through my pattern stash to see just how many vintage Greenock knitting patterns I had - most of them belonged to my Mum. 


She was a great knitter - she took her knitting everywhere she went, even on holiday she would sit on the beach and knit!  This well worn pattern was one of her favourites.


Twinsets  - remember them?  I remember having this twinset in blue ... and gray for school ... and green to wear with my kilt!


I also had the hat on the right - what you can't see is that there was a gap at the back and that was for your ponytail   to go through!  I had one of these in blue ... and gray ..... you get the picture!




Checked out what the record/45/single was - "Am I Blue" by Billy Fury which was released in 1963.  Lovely detail in cardi - another twinset.  I had this in ... !


Have a great weekend.

Love, Liz

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely you still have those patterns and the memories. I loved twinsets, still do. Was there a woolen mill in Greenock?

Shortbread and Ginger said...

Hi Marjorie - yes, there were woollen mills in Greenock. In fact my Gran was a mill girl in the 20s.
Liz

blackenpot said...

What lovely patterns and memories too! Interesting about the wool mills.

I do remember the twin setts although I was not so lucky to have one. Mam did not knit ( had'nt much time ) what with 6 bairns!

Thank you for sharing and have a nice weekend.

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Love the old pictures. Knitting has taken off here lately, girls in their 20's at work are making all kinds of hats!

La Vie Quotidienne said...

These patterns are wonderful...surprisingly, they can still be used today. You must be pleased to have them.

Little Nell said...

My Mum was like yours, not happy unless she had a knitting project on the go. She still knits at 91, and when I was in UK last month I asked her for my fairisle waistcoat that I’d left with her three years ago, and was reminded of when I saw the one you posted a few weeks ago. We scanned some slides of theirs as well and there was me wearing it and the two children had matching ones! I dont know where theirs went -probably passed on to someone else - but I shall wear mine, even though it’s thirty years old, as it’s in mint condition.

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

I love the idea of the ponytail hole!

Anne said...

I remember my mum had loads of those patterns.You can get similar ones from our local charity shop.

Kylie said...

I had a couple of little twinsets too Liz (and a kilt - my grandfather was Scottish) I also wore them alot when I was a teenager - with short skirts.
I also think the title of your post would make a great blog name btw x

The Green Lady said...

How lovely that you've still got your mum's patterns. I like the flower embroidery and the ponytail hole is a good idea. I couldn't resist getting a few vintage knitting patterns at the charity shop last week. I've got quite a stash but probably will never have time to make any of them!