Tuesday 8 May 2012

Oban Harbour

My favourite part of our visit to Oban yesterday was walking round the harbour area.  So much to see and photograph.
 



Oban started as a small fishing village, but the train link to Glasgow and the increase in steamer traffic and tourism in the late 19th century, saw it become the main hub between the western islands and the mainland.  It still is a popular holiday destination for those who want to explore the west of Scotland and the islands.
 


The tall ship Pelican has had an interesting history and is used, among other things as a training ship for young people.



There are some interesting buildings in Oban.  My particular favourite is this lovely red sandstone building from 1901.  I think it used to be the Royal Bank of Scotland - it is in George Street.  Love the architectural details - wonderful!



Hope you enjoyed this little trip to Oban.  Hope to go back during the summer when the sun is shining - if we ever get a summer, that is!

 Love, Liz

15 comments:

Kylie said...

Love the colours of the little fishing boats Liz x

Vintage Jane said...

Hi Liz - Looks like you had a lovely time in Oban. The fish and chips look delish!
Love your pretty tea set in the previous post too, gorgeous colour. M x

gillyflower said...

Looks like a great place to spend some time - thanks for sharing, hope you enjoyed your time there.

Gill xx

Rachael said...

I love fishing harbors like this, I always get attracted into taking far too many pictures of say the ropes and the netting. I just always love the clash of colours and all the detailing in the twines. Gorgeous!

Deborah said...

Gorgeous pics Liz :) have a happy week

Bee happy x
Have a delicious day!

Ruth Kelly said...

I agree, outstanding architecture. Lovely photos.

vintage grey said...

Beautiful!! Love the red sandstone building!! Such gorgeous details!! Have a wonderful day Liz!!

The Green Lady said...

We had a lovely weekend in Glasgow last weekend and I've come back to Hastings incredibly homesick. It didn't help that it was lovely and sunny for a change. I've enjoyed 'visiting' Oban. Was years ago when I was last there.

Miss Simmonds Says said...

fascinating place! xx

Anonymous said...

Hello Liz
I have just been reading about your trip to Oban, Lovely photos Thank you for taking me there.
Thea x

Linda said...

Ooh I love Oban, many day trips spent there whilst visiting friends in Dunoon and also the starting point for the ferry on our holidays to Mull. Lovely to see your pictures. Linda xxx

Kia said...

Lovely photos! :)
Hubby and I have been to Oban a couple of times and really liked it. Thanks for a trip to memory-lane.

Cuby said...

Thanks for this trip to Oban a port that I have been to often, catching ferries or just poking about!

orchid0324 said...

Dearest Liz,
What a beautiful harbour area♡♡♡ Makes me wish to stroll with you to have a wonderful time♪ And the sandstone building; with such architectural detailsas you said; which used to be the Royal Bank of Scotland is gorgeous. I enjoyed it with your picture.
Thank you very much for sharing us your lovely time.
Love you always, xoxo Miyako*

Unknown said...

This is lovely! The town has so much character!

Thanks for sharing. Hope you are well.

Best,
e