Friday 18 May 2012

Pipers Come Home

A parcel arrived yesterday - all the way from the lovely Kylie in Australia!  She sent me a few wee bits and pieces that needed to come home to Scotland.


First there was this lovely little vintage Scottish piper doll.  Isn't she cute? 




Look at her lovely blue eyes and rosy cheeks - all that piping, I suppose - the cheeks, I mean, not the eyes - don't think eye colour is affected by bagpipes!!!  (Unless of course  you count bloodshot eyes!)



Kylie also sent this vintage Edinburgh Castle apron - again featuring pipers - very unusual.  Going to keep this for St Andrew's Night or Burns Night when I'm cooking haggis!


Last, but not least was this vintage postcard of Princes Street Gardens in Edinburgh - love the colours and can you see the wee girl feeding the pigeons in the bottom right corner?

And funnily enough, Edinburgh is where I am heading soon.  So I really could be sending you that postcard - great timing, Kylie!

Kylie had added a wee tag to the dolly -


Some of you may remember Poor Margaret.
A post not for the faint-hearted!
Go on - read it at your peril!
You have been warned!
So, I think this wee lassie will remain safe in her lovely tartan box for the time being!

 Have a great weekend and thanks, Kylie! 

Love, Liz

16 comments:

Unknown said...

aahh bless Kyle what lovely gifts. Love the piper and tea towel i used to be married to a Scottsman. It is a beautiful part of the world. Enjoy them, dee x

Miss Simmonds Says said...

Just read about Poor Margaret, better keep the two seperate in case they team up in the night! I love that tea towel and the postcard, which looks like a John Hines

My Vintage Mending said...

This is darling. I see these sweet dolls but only on the english blogs...Beautifully dressed and with such sweet faces. Enjoy it. You know I am crushing on that apron...Smiles...Renee

Rachael said...

The Poor Margaret tale had me giggling with the last photograph! I hope she finds some company in her new Scottish little friends!

Anonymous said...

At last they are home! The little piper is so sweet, I think I used to own his brother! (My Aunt was Scottish), poor Margaret !
Thea x

Maria said...

Yep I agree! Love Edinburgh soo much..Enjoy Liz.Just had a peep at poor Margaret,aww dear, not for the faint hearted...hehe Maria x

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

Lovely Kylie. I loved Edinburgh and so did the boys - they were very taken with the bagpipers and we came home with a teddy bear in a kilt who has been christened Douglas McHaggis Arthur!

Ruth Kelly said...

I am impressed. Such loving giving people in the world deserve a good word.

vintage grey said...

What sweet gifts from Kylie!! Beautiful and very sweet Scottish piper doll!! Love the apron,too!! such pretties!! Have a lovely weekend! xo Heather

A Treasured Past said...

Isn't Kylie just the sweetest? How lovely the little bits of Scotland found its way home. I am sure you will love them. T x

orchid0324 said...

Dearest Liz,
Oh, what a lovely gift♡♡♡
I've checked what the haggis is.
Always fun to know the new thing!
Love you always, xoxo Miyako*

GardenOfDaisies said...

Awww, what a nice friend!! Do you really cook haggis?
We here in the USA have heard terrible things about it. ;-)

Connie said...

What an awesome gift . . . it takes being a good friend, to have such a good friend . . . therefore; you must be pretty special yourself. That little piper dolls is delightful. I'm sure you'll give her a wonderful home. I am your newest follower, and I would love to invite you to visit and hopefully follow my blog, too. I enjoy making new blogging friends from around the world. Looking forward to hearing from you, Connie :)

Emma Breadstill said...

Hi Liz, for some reason I keep missing your posts, I don't know why. But I've been having a good catch up. I don't know about Poor Margaret, she's a bit scary. I'm glad I'm not in the house on my own tonight haha. I loved your post on the old songs. I too used to listen to George Formby, The Andrews Sisters and Flanagan and Allen with my dad (to name but a few) and they really do bring back some lovely memories. At the risk of sounding like my dad (I love him but even so), the old songs are the best. Lots of love xxx

Heidi said...

What a sweet thing for her to do. However I did go read about Margaret. I will not always get spooked when I see that name...lol. Wasn't there a horror film about a doll like her? :-)

Hugs from Holland ~
Heidi

Penny Dreadful Vintage said...

What a cute wee doll. Oh and my name is Margaret too, but I hope I'm not quite as unloved as Poor Margaret!

Penny Dreadful Vintage