Monday 23 July 2012

Brilliant Bristol

Bristol - what a great city!


I suppose because it is a port with a fabulous maritime and trading history like Greenock, I felt quite at home there. when Hubby and I visited last week.


One of my favourite things to do when I visit a new city is to take the open top. hop on, hop off bus tour so that I can get my bearings and learn a little of the local history - usually from someone who actually lives there.  Bristol's open top bus tour was great!


The old dock area is now full of bars and restaurants and was wonderful to wander round in the evening.
 

Isambard Kingdom Brunel's amazing iron steamship the "ss Great Britain", built in Bristol and launched in 1843, is one of the attractions, but we didn't have time to see the ship close up.

Still ............ there's always next time!

Love, Liz

8 comments:

becktovintage said...

Hi dear friend Liz, Thank you very much for these beautiful pictures..:))I really want to visit Great Britain after I was retired on this november..
All best wishes...

vintage grey said...

Such a beautiful place Liz!! Thanks for sharing! xo Heather

Vintage Jane said...

One of my favourite places ... so glad you had a good time down south! M x

sky-blu-pink said...

Great pics! You were lucky with the weather! Here in London it has only just stopped raining!

Little Nell said...

We haven’t been there for a while but I remember it as being a very interesting place with lots to see.

Flotsam said...

Not living far from Bristol; I do not visit as often as I should. Thanks for the lovely pictures and fresh eye on the place.

Protector of Vintage said...

I love visiting your blog because it makes me feel as if I have traveled somewhere!!

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

I miss Bristol, it's my university town and I had the best time there.