Wednesday 29 August 2012

God Speed Greenock!

I think by now regular readers will know how much I love my home town of Greenock.  I visited the town hall recently and just loved the depictions of Greenock's coat of arms with the motto "God Speed Greenock".


This is a beautiful version in stained glass.


This is a floor mosaic.

 
The ship obviously refers to Greenock's great maritime past.

 
The fish are a reminder that Greenock was a fishing port in the pre-industrial days - incredible herring catches were made locally.  The town's motto used to be - "Let herring swim that trade maintain".  Can't stand herring myself!


The cups represent one of the oldest landowning families in the area - the Shaws.


 
Hope you enjoyed this little historical snippet!

Love, Liz

7 comments:

Rose H (UK) said...

What magnificent stained glass, thank you for sharing it Liz :o)
Rose H
x

Ruth Kelly said...

I certainly did enjoy the historical snippet. It makes me want to visit Greenock.

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

I can see why you are proud of your hometown. Glad you appreciate it's history.

sky-blu-pink said...

Great pics! I love mosaics and tile art. Greenock is certainly somewhere to visit, you have whetted my whistle for a Scottish trip!

Kylie said...

They are beautiful Liz, the mosaic, is my favourite.

vintage grey said...

So beautiful! Thanks for sharing the neat history!! xo Heather

Used-to-Bees said...

It is good to have pride in your town! I wish more people round here would have pride in ours - it has a real history to it, but it is rather neglected...
x