Thursday 27 September 2012

From the Sublime to the Ridiculous ... for 60 pence!


First charity shop finds for absolutely ages!  Came across this little dish which cost me 25p.

 
 
It caught my attention immediately and I thought it was modern (I'm not usually drawn to modern)!  On closer inspection I discovered it was of an 1838 locomotive, designed by Terence Conran for Midwinter Stylecraft.  So I thought for 25p, I'll buy it.  I really like it.

 
 
When I got home and did some research I discovered that its from the 1950s.  I have to say that surprised me as I thought it was much more contemporary.  It seems to be one of a set of four.

 
My second buy of the day cost me 35p - a wonderful kitschy kiltie!  Isn't he so awful he's good?
 

A souvenir from Dunoon, just across the water from Greenock.

 
Don't think I could have found two more contrasting finds. 

 
So, in your eyes, which do you think is sublime?

Love, Liz

19 comments:

Kylie said...

You really like it, I really love it. The Conran plate wins hands down in the sublime stakes in my opinion Liz (but you already knew I'd say that, didn't you?)

thriftwood said...

I love the little plate ... Stylecraft is very collectable ... you got a great bargain there!

Love Claire xx

Loo xx from Jumbles and Pompoms said...

I like both finds. The dish is a true bargain. S'not fair, our local charity shops have a minimum price of 99p (yes, 99p!). That means that the smallest, unexciting, trinket or glass or doily or tiny container of shampoo or the like is 99p. Daft. xx

Kestrel said...

I love the little Conran plate, what a great find.

Mylittlepieceofengland said...

Wow, what good charity shop finds, much more expensive here! Loving the plate. x

Rachael said...

Love the locomotive plate - totally would have come home with that myself being a slight train geek!

Paulette said...

Love the shape and the engine that has been etched on your Conran plate. I too would have thought it was a modern piece, very interesting what we can find when we google things. Your plate is sublime.

Flotsam said...

It just goes to show how fashions and design keep going round in a loop. (Maybe a caution not to throw out all our older style 'junk')?

Rose H (UK) said...

The Conran dish is certainly a great find Liz :o) though I DO like the swing of a kilt too ;o)
Rose H
x

Miss Simmonds Says said...

super cool and super kitsch! I love them both but I think that plate is a special find.

gilly said...

The Stylecraft plate wins my sublime vote - what a find, and a bargain to boot! Well spotted :-)
xx

Anonymous said...

Great finds I love the plate, its amazing what treasures are out there
Thea x

Ruth Kelly said...

We all have a special spot in our hearts fort\ trains - what a fun plate!

Bijou Sugar-Socks said...

what a score liz! i would have totally bought that too first mainly because of the design :D and for a song? wow!

Anna @ Miss Beatrix said...

You're so lucky to have found that plate! It's so quirky and evocative of the steam age. I would have said it's modern too, but bought it anyway. How fantastic to find out it's actually from the 1950s. I really like the mug too as it's full of character. Love lucky thrifting days!

Anna. x

magie said...

I think they are both fab buys..my favorite (if I had to choose) is the mug (I love me a bit of kitsch!)
Magie x

fabriquefantastique said...

looks like the plate has it.....I really like the shape

gillyflower said...

Wonderful find for 25p! Love the Conran plate! The kilty mug is a bit of fun too!

Leah said...

I love both of your fabulous finds! How fantastic.