Monday 10 September 2012

Tourist in my own Town of Greenock

What a wonderful scheme "Doors Open Day" is!  It is a fabulous time to explore places that you would not normally have the opportunity to visit and hear more about the history of your home town.  On Sunday I was fortunate to be among those visiting the Inverkip Street/Duncan Street cemetery in Greenock.  It is a quiet place and, although it is not far from the centre of town, this was the first time I had ventured inside.


The tour was run by Inverclyde Tourist Group.  A couple of their members had done a lot of research into the history of some of the people who were buried there.


This cemetery was closed in 1859.  The new Greenock Cemetery (which I've blogged about often) was opened in 1846.


Some of the gravestones are from the 18th century.  Many are of merchants and shipowners of the town. 


The word relict - what a horrible word, in this case means widow.  It makes me think that these women were poor broken-down things (which perhaps some of them were).  What a shame that four of their children died young - a common story in those days, I suppose.

Love, Liz

10 comments:

flowers on my table said...

It's great to be a tourist in your own town from time to time! I never heard of the word relict...how interesting. Love Linda x

Little Nell said...

It's strange the fascination we have for old headstones. In the 18th century it would have been common to lose children so young, but it doesn't make it any less poignant.

I've seen the word relict on memorial plaques in churches, often referring to the widow of whichever member of the clergy it was memorialising.

Rachael said...

Some of those grave heads seem to be holding up very well for their age. Sadly in my old hometown many even younger ones had all fallen down. Nice to be a tourist in your own part of the world every now and again too!

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

I always enjoy the history surronding an old cemetery. Sometimes we forget what is in our own hometown!

Vintage Jane said...

We often miss the gems on our doorstep don't we. What a great idea to have an open doors day and discover them. M x

sky-blu-pink said...

Wonderful! I spent an afternoon wandering around the mausoleum in Glasgow, a few years ago, not gloomy at all, but a great Gothic resting place. This one looks well worth a visit !

Ruth Kelly said...

Many children did not survive in those days with all sorts of diseases killing off toddlers. We are so blessed to have vaccines to take care of culprits that would carry away our children to their maker.

My Vintage Mending said...

You always have the most beautiful images Liz. Thank you for sharing....smiles..Renee

Tammy's in Love said...

I have learned about more things in my town by showing guests around! What a great thing to do, open doors and have a look!

Used-to-Bees said...

I love wandering round cemeteries. Those headstones are beautiful, and as others have said, have stood the test of time very well. I especially love the style of Thomas Ramsay's, though the architectural features of the pedimented one are gorgeous.
x