Friday 5 October 2012

Doune Castle

If Doune Castle (not too far from Stirling) looks familiar to you, then it could be because the film "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" was filmed there.
 

Went to visit the castle a few weeks ago - it is really a fabulous place.

 
Unfortunately we couldn't get into the great hall as there was a wedding taking place that day.  But we did catch some of this piper's music and during the ceremony we could hear harp music - really added to the atmosphere.

 
One thing that I hadn't thought of before was how on earth servants got up and down the spiral staircases - especially if they were carrying large trays of food!  Imagine wearing a long skirt and trailing up and down several sets of these.  I was knackered out of breath by the time I had gone up two floors!  Would have been a bit treacherous if you had taken one too many bevvies sherries!

 
They are extremely narrow too!  They would have been built that way as a defensive ploy - the enemy couldn't get to you on the upper floors in large numbers and the defender would have a better chance of getting the first guy on the way up, hopefully he would fall back and take a few of the other with him! 

 
Love the illustrations showing how the castle would have been lived in.
 


We are so lucky here in the UK having so many wonderful historic buildings!  If you want more info about Doune Castle, check out this link to Historic Scotland.

 
Love, Liz

8 comments:

Karen said...

What a marvelous place to visit !! Does look to be a 'bit' chilly if you had to visit in cooler weather tho...
;-}
Oh- Love your blog banner too !! Such cozy colours...
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Hej Liz,
at first : I ♥ Scotland ♥
and i ♥ these old Buildings (Castle?), too!
Next Year i will stay a while in Scotland, so I hope, I will see a lot of them!

Manuela

Miss Simmonds Says said...

I love all that beautifully worn stone - I think I'm right in saying that Scottish castles have a lefthand spiral to the staircases rather than right as there's a high degree of lefthandedness in Scotland. (I'm a leftie so I remember these things)

Kylie said...

You are lucky Liz, no castles here (just pretend ones!) x

Rachael said...

Doune Castle has to be one of my favourite castles i've ever been too. I visted, say hmm probably over 10 years ago now when we were on holiday near Stirling. Such a lovely castle, I think the reason why I love it is because compared to many it's such a small castle yet many of those that lived there - the Moray's and the Dounes were such important people.

sky-blu-pink said...

I love castles, perhaps I was a princess in a former life! This one is particularly lovely; I must go and visit.

Rose H (UK) said...

What a fab place!
Rose H
x

vintage grey said...

So beautiful there, and I am sure so neat to visit!! Imagine a wedding in there! Wow! Happy weekend! xo Heather