Friday 16 November 2012

Postcards From the Front

I was amazed by the embroidery in these WW1 postcards.  All hand made, the stitches are incredibly small and embroidered on silk.  My eyes felt the strain just looking closely at the embroidery work.

 
These examples are from a friend's collection. 

 
Some had little pockets where a little greetings card or note could be placed - aren't they amazing?  Seemingly most were embroidered by Belgian and French women and finished off (cut and mounted on card) at factories.

 
They were very popular with men serving at the front to send home to loved ones.  While the cards themselves are lovely I think that the circumstances in which they were sent and received adds poignancy to what we see when we look at them now.   

 
I wonder if they brought comfort? 


 
I wonder how many of them were the last word or gift from a loved one.

 
How beautiful ... and incredibly sad.

 
Love, Liz

13 comments:

The Vintage Knitter said...

They are beautifully stitched and incredibly poignant too. You can imagine how happy someone must have been to receive one of these and know that their loved one was still alive (perhaps).

Paulette said...

I have never heard of or seen an embroidery postcard. The one with the card, Forget me not, evokes a sadness. Thanks for this post, I have enjoyed it.

Mum said...

You are so right with your last comment. It's such a shame that people had to send these cards. Such beautiful embroidery.
Love from Mum
xx

sky-blu-pink said...

So beautiful, and the colours have remained so true, they have been well looked after. I agree, there is a tinge of sadness when you consider what the back story might be.

Anne said...

As you say Liz lovely but sad at the same time.

Ruth Kelly said...

Never heard of embroidered post cards - how very unusual and wonderful1

vintage grey said...

These are all so beautiful LIz! Have a wonderful weekend! xo Heather

humphreycumfycushion said...

I agree withall the comments, so beautiful but poignant. The wonderful condition is testiment to how much they were treasured by the recipient.

Rose H (UK) said...

They're truly works of art Liz. I'm pretty sure that Mom still has a couple that were Nans, I'll ask her...hopefully she'll remember!
Hope you're having a great weekend.
Rose H
x

Trudy said...

I have one of these cards amongst my family history collection, that has been treasured all these years and handed down to me. I think it would have brought much comfort to receive something so beautiful.

Miss Simmonds Says said...

I always found these embroidered cards really beautiful but also very sad too, really anything that has associations with WW1 seems more tinged with sadness than later war memoribilia to me

Vintage Jane said...

I just love these beautiful cards. My dad used to collect them, but, sadly for me, he sold the collection off many years ago. M x

Lynne said...

Amazing . . . I would find this to be a treasure to add to my postcard collections.
Make me wonder as well, who were the recipients . . .
Did they ever receive the messages from their loved one . . .