Tuesday 4 December 2012

Drowning In Nostalgia

One of the wonderful things about rummaging in charity shops is that you just never know what you are going to stumble across and sometimes what you do find can send you back in time to memories which had lain dormant for many, many years.  That's what happened to me in Perth on Saturday.  I found this:-

 
It was my first Sunday School prize - The Golden Picture Book of Puppies.  I loved this book with a passion!!!!!

Me and my brother.
I must have been about this age when I got it and it went everywhere with me - even on holiday.  My parents had to read it to me each night and I heard it so often that I thought I could read it.  I knew this story off by heart and thought I was such a big girl being able to say words like Dandie Dinmont.  I used to play at schools with my wee brother and he had to sit and listen to me "read" the book to him (well he would sit for a little while)!

 
The pictures are mostly in black and white, but there are two in colour - so cute!

 
 
This has to be my find of the year - I've been wallowing in nostalgia ever since I found it.  I even had to tell the chap in the shop all about it, I was so excited to find it!  Have you ever done that?

 
 
However, some things, especially words, do change!

 
Don't try this at home!!!!!

Love, Liz

17 comments:

Vintage Jane said...

So glad you found your lovely book and were able to have a bit of nostalgia time! The chazza's here have been seriously lacking for a while ... M x

My Vintage Mending said...

Liz we always laugh at some of the words in these older books. So glad you found a sweet memory...smiles..Renee

Marjorie said...

What a wonderful find for you.

Miss Simmonds Says said...

hahaha! I'm laughing at last photo!!
but, the book is wonderful, I would've picked it up too, I'm do pleased that you picked it up after all these years, I did something similar with a nursery rhyme book I'd been after.

Paulette said...

How wonderfull that you found this book that meant so much to you. You and your brother were little cuties. Memories, especially precious ones, are such treasures, just like your book.

Deborah said...

Great post and wonderful find sweetie, hope you are having a happy week :)

Bee happy x

vintage grey said...

Love that photo of you and your brother!! To cute!! Such a sweet book! xo Heather

Old Magnolia Tree said...

Oh what a beautiful find! I would love to see my favourite book again. It was a nursery rhyme book with gorgeous pictures. I can still see clearly the pictures in it.
Rosie xx

Anne said...

Hi Liz, amazing isnt it what sends you off on a nostalgic journey. Definitely no one would call their dog that nowadays though!

Anonymous said...

I am so pleased you have found your special book, It must have been waiting for you
Thea x

Rose H (UK) said...

What a great find Liz :o)
I remember having some Golden Picture books when I was wee.
There I was, happily drinking a cup of tea, scrolling down your post when I came to 'that' last photo - I nearly ruined a perfectly good key-board! :o)
Rose H
x

vintagemovement said...

Love your family photo - so cute! The coats, your hat and the hand warmer are all divine!. xx Tina

sky-blu-pink said...

What a lovely book, and what a sweet photo of you and your brother!

Heidi Lisa said...

What a lovely trip down memory lane for you!

Tammy's in Love said...

I do love finding something that I haven't seen for 40 or more years and THEN remembering that I had one 'just like it'! It's a wonder with all the new stuff crammed into our brains that we can see something from childhood and have an adrenylin rush of happiness!

Trudy said...

It's always so lovely to find something from our childhood. I found a tin with a ballerina on which I had been given as a child. It made my day!!

Miss Maple said...

I had a favourite book when I was a child but I've never found it again. Sadly I don't even remember the title, so I can't search for it on the internet. Maybe I'll have the luck to find it someday in an op shop or at the fleamarket like you.