Monday 10 December 2012

Pandora's ........ Breadbin!

I was lucky to be given this (slightly grotty) 70s orange breadbin yesterday - why lucky, I hear you ask!  Well, because it contained "some old patterns and stuff".  I'll admit that I was expecting a couple of 70s and 80s knitting patterns and perhaps a few old magazines.  BUT!!!!!!!

 
I opened the lid ... and took a sharp intake of breath!!!!  This is what I saw ......

 
Just lying on the top were two of the most vintagy patterns I have ever had the pleasure to see ... and they are just  what's on top.  I was so excited, I was almost hyperventilating as I forgot to exhale the sharp intake of breath!

 
I was out all day and got back late so didn't have much time to rummage through the rest.

 
I awoke early today, as excited as a child on Christmas morning, and if it hadn't been so cold I would have got up there and then to check out what else was in the breadbin!

 
I've taken some photographs of the two I've looked at so far- this transfer pattern is from Christmas 1912 - one hundred years ago - WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

 
Don't think there is going to be much work done here today!
Keep tuned in to find out what else I discover in ..... Pandora's Breadbin!!!!!

Love, Liz

I'm joining up with Max's second hand link-up over at Blackbird Has Spoken - come and see what everyone else has been finding.

17 comments:

Trudy said...

Oh how exciting! What a fabulous find. Any love letters or faded photos amongst it all?!!

Max said...

1912?!! blimey, it's impressive its survived-i presume it's made of the same, very tissue-y stuff the later ones were made from? love the granny pic too-'nowerdays' it looks like les dawson in drag but it was probably the height of sophisticated advertising back then!
thanks for linking up liz x

Claire said...

What a little treasure trove you've been given Liz......
So nice to find the unexpected sometimes.

Claire :}

Used-to-Bees said...

Oh my giddy aunt! I'd have been as thrilled as you are! What a fabulous box of treasures - have fun with it over the next few days. Loved the 'Not Me' caption!
x

My Vintage Mending said...

Fantastic find...and transfer images too...This will be good for sure. Smiles...Renee

Loo xx from Jumbles and Pompoms said...

Cripes what a find. Lucky you. xx

Mum said...

IRYPT - Wow.
Love from Mum
xx

Ruth Kelly said...

You received an early Christmas. How exciting and what finds!

Vintage Jane said...

Wow, lucky you indeedy! M x

Marjorie said...

What a lovely gift. Have fun.

Anonymous said...

That is amazing that it has lasted since 1912... I wonder how many times it has used and the hands it has passed through. What an amazing find, must be treasured xx

sky-blu-pink said...

Oh wow, what an amazing find! Btw, I saw your contribution in Pretty Nostalgic, congrats for getting printed, and nice to see someone I recognise!

vintagemovement said...

Lots of vintage treasure here Liz... love the Granny pic - had a little chuckle!!. Woolly comforts - such a cute title!. x Tina

Anna @ Miss Beatrix said...

Wow, the patterns are beautiful works of art in their own right, too, unlike the PDF files of today! Looking forward to seeing what other treasure reside within! x

Linda said...

What a fantastic find, I'm green with envy ;D Linda x

Annie Cholewa said...

Colour me green ... what luck indeed!!!

I just wrote a post about the possible misuse/overuse of the word vintage ... this, of course, is proper vintage, and wonderful!

Miss Simmonds Says said...

of course I didn' think it was you - but... now you've got the patterns you can make shawls galore. Those old magazines look fabulous x