Friday 19 April 2013

Satin Cushions in Medicine Pink!

The minute I saw this vintage pattern book for quilted cushions, I thought of that dreadful medicine pink colour!  Do you know the one I mean - usually on something satin it was a garish shade of pink and probably found in the homes of whiskery maiden great-aunts of advanced years.  There was also a ghastly green coloured satin which also featured somewhere in the same home - usually on a cushion or lampshade or bed cover. 

 
I did not know that there were different types of quilting, but this booklet, by Penelope for Needlecraft, shows two - English and Italian and gives good descriptions of them.

 
 
Don't know what it is about these cushions that makes me shiver - really dislike them - must be some awful childhood experience.  Probably being told to sit still and not fidget while sitting on an overstuffed, smelly horsehair sofa with a slippery satin cushion behind me!  Most likely in the home of some old dear Mum had dragged me along to visit!  I actually remember a scary parrot in a cage by the window too - good grief, all this from a wee booklet!
 
 

 
Anyway, this woman looks quite calm - must follow her example.


Happy Friday!

Love, Liz

9 comments:

Kylie said...

Dare I say it, but I kind-of like those cushions Liz. And "medicine pink" and (not so) "ghastly green"

Shortbread and Ginger said...

Oh well Kylie - you are probably not alone!
Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

Plain Jane said...

Oh I love those pinks - one was like calamine but the other was more germolene! Jane x

Rachael said...

That looks so fun, not so much their colour choices however!

Curtise said...

Yes, that booklet has obviously hit a nerve with you, Liz! The satin cushions aren't so bad really, they'd look great on a bed with a candlewick bedspread. xxxx

Emilie's daughter said...

Very funny, Liz! I know what you mean about satin cushions! Whenever I meet them in a hotel room they go right into the cupboard and never come out again until I leave! The same applies to satin bedcovers! Just horrible! Christa

Miss Simmonds Says said...

When you said old lady medicine I instantly thought of pepto-bismol, what a hideous pink shade, though I'm partial to sickly pinks so the thought of satin cushions in medicine pink is rather exciting

sky-blu-pink said...

A lot of patient work has gone into them, though. Good thing your booklet is in black and white . . . .

Mim said...

They're not my sort of thing, but there is something wonderfully midcentury about them. Midcentury and feminine - Doris Day songs in fabric!