Thursday 31 October 2013

Glorious Guelph

One of the best outings on my recent trip to Canada was a visit to the beautiful city of Guelph, Ontario with my brother.

 
 
My main reason for visiting Guelph was its connection with my home town of Greenock.  The founder of Guelph, John Galt actually lived in Greenock and is buried here.  Here is his statue in Guelph.

 
There were some beautiful old buildings and shops in Guelph.  There is a bookshop called Macondo Books (visit their fabulous Facebook page) which I could have spent hours in.  Will tell you about the books I bought in another post.
 
 

 
This building particularly intrigued me - from a distance the top looks like a thistle.  Wonder what it was and why it is so dilapidated?

 
My brother and I had a lovely meal in the Albion Hotel - fabulous. 

 
A great day out and some lovely memories.  Would really like to spend a few days there next time!  Thanks for taking me there, Bro!


Love, Liz

15 comments:

Elizabeth said...

What a fascinating town.
Loved the strange old building- rather made me want to restore it and use it as a studio.
I thought of you yesterday as I used my super tea-cosy.
Happy Halloween!

September Violets said...

My sister used to live in Guelph years ago, so I've spent many hours meandering through those shops with her whenever I would visit! It really is one of the prettier old towns. Wendy

Shortbread and Ginger said...

Elizabeth - thank you. Glad you are enjoying the tea cosy!

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Hi Liz, I am new to your beautiful blog - lucky you - living in Scotland! Gorgeous photos of your trip - I would love to get inside that book shop and the flower shop would be calling my name! Thank you for your sweet visit, also. Hugs xoxo Karen

Patricia said...

What a lovely trip you took with your brother. Pretty town and lovely photos.
Patricia x

Connie said...

Isn't Canada pretty?

greenthumb said...

What a lovely place, sounds like you had a great time.

Anonymous said...

I would love to visit Ontario, and I'll try to go to Guelph - it looks intriguing. That old building is especially mysterious.

Catherine said...

I love Canada! Glad you had a nice time there.

Sylvia said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time there, Liz !
Love the old buildings and the flower shop !
Nice weekend,
Sylvia

sky-blu-pink said...

Looks a lovely place to visit, so fresh!

GardenOfDaisies said...

I know this town! My parents lived there for 12 years.

his_girl_friday said...

Looks like a fun trip!

Unknown said...

That sounds like such fun! I would have enjoyed the bookshop too, and the flowers. Everything there looks so clean.

Sometimes Eventful said...

I am from Guelph! I'm so glad to see you had a great time in our lovely city. By the way, my dad is the person who coordinated the statue being placed in front of our City Hall. You might be interested in the story...http://bit.ly/13MIWgT