Monday 18 November 2013

Colourful Historical Scotland

I came across this fabulous Historical Map of Scotland in a charity shop at the weekend.

 
It was published (in the 60s?)by John Bartholomew & Sons Ltd of Edinburgh and originally cost 5/- (five shillings).  It is printed on cloth so is very sturdy and in pretty good condition.


 
Inside is a wealth of colour!  The map of Scotland is surrounded by coats of arms of various clans and towns. 

 
There are historical snippets within the map.  It is absolutely fabulous.


 
Modern Scottish pictorial maps (by Harper Collins) are available from Amazon.  There's the Scotland of Old map and the Tartans map - both of which are very colourful and would look great framed. 


Love, Liz

13 comments:

September Violets said...

What an amazing find Liz! To have been printed on cloth, the details are so crisp. My brother's wife is from Golspie up in the far north & we travelled there for their wedding. You live in a beautiful country (of course I don't need to tell you!). Wendy x

GardenOfDaisies said...

Wonderful! I also love the little bits of songs that are in there. I see some of "Annie Laurie" on there.

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Thanks for sharing! Since my families are from Scotland I loved it. was looking to see if I saw our Galbraith family castle at Fintry, Culcreuch Castle.
Wonderful finds.

sky-blu-pink said...

Great finds! I love finding out about the history or something/where/one.

Vintage Sheet Addict said...

The colours are brilliant, I love a vintage British Isles map, hope one day I'm lucky enough to find one! :) x

Patricia said...

I have a passion for maps, any kind, any area, county etc. What a fabulous find Liz and so full of history too. Lucky you.
Patricia x

Curtise said...

What a great find. Maps are so beautiful. xxxx

Anne said...

I think I have that map somewhere. I had it on my wall at uni (in the early 70s) - alongside Rod Stewart! :oD

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Wonderful to find these colorful maps - they would be great to frame. Both sides of my family have Scottish roots. I've always wanted to travel to your gorgeous country. xo

Indigo Violet said...

That is gorgeous! My great-grandfather came from a village near Wick called Latheron.

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

Great find, the map is lovely.

Ruth Kelly said...

I see my Fraser crest. I love your old map of Scotland - maps are of great worth.

Meggie said...

Wonderful find....I see the Macpherson crest of my family !!