Thursday 7 January 2016

My retro kitchen

I didn't realise until quite recently how many bits and pieces in my kitchen that I use often are actually quite vintage.


This tea towel must be at least 30 years old and was from Marks & Spencer - if I remember correctly I had oven gloves to match.  It just gets used and washed and used again.  Getting a bit faded now, but still ok.  I love the row of cheery chefs!



These storage containers are also over 30 years old.  Still in perfect condition and useful, so why change them?  They hold lentils and barley for my soup.


I'm not the kind of person who changes things on a whim or to match a new colour scheme - find that a bit wasteful.


Have you got some useful retro bits and pieces in your kitchen?

Love, Liz


9 comments:

JoKnows said...

I love your tea towel! And I have very similar storage containers. They work well. :)

Unknown said...

Cute containers! I have quite a few vintage pyrex containers that I use regularly.

mamasmercantile said...

Love the tea towel, just shows how well things were made years ago to last so well.

kate steeper said...

just yesterday i got pulled up for moaning that a couple of bath towels were getting tatty ..my daughter pointed out i had bought them when she went up to big school for games that was 12 years ago

Unknown said...

Well I must admit that when we had our new kitchen installed last January I did get rid of a lot of things that we had had since we got married in 1980 but did keep my lovely vintage mixing bowls (just like the ones my Mum used to use when I was little) and a few other bits and pieces. xx

handmade by amalia said...

This is my first visit to your pretty blog, Liz, and I enjoyed looking around. The vintage tea cosy is amazing. Happy 2016!
Amalia
xo

Lynne said...

Well since I am myself, "quite vintage" I guess I have few things "retro", (vintage) in my kitchen . . .
My red and white checked cook book is one thing and visible for all to see. I still use it but I must admit the Paprika app for my iPad is in the finishing line with the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook! Dansk pieces from the 60's adorn places in my kitchen too. I do have many tea towels and aprons from my mothers era! I enjoyed your "retro" look back . . .

white and vintage said...

Hello Liz,
I love retro kitchens so much. I have also a lot of retro things in my kitchen.
I am happy to find your blog.
Lovely Greetings from Austria,
Christine

Katie Mansfield said...

We've been married so long that our original stuff is vintage. Time flies.