Wednesday 1 May 2019

Vintage Greenock knitting patterns

I absolutely love vintage knitting patterns and have lots which belonged to my Mum who was an avid knitter.  I don't think I had a shop-bought jumper until I was a teenager!


These patterns are extra special because they call for Greenock wool.  My hometown once had woollen mills thus the reason for the name.


The expressions on some of the models faces is just fabulous, I often wonder what they were thinking as they posed in their lovely woollies!


This picture really made me smile!  I just wonder what the older boy told the younger one!!!!!


Perhaps I should have a caption contest!

I have another post about vintage patterns here.

Love, Liz

7 comments:

Crimson Kettle said...

They don't make them like that any more! I think the older boy is telling the younger one that he's got a frog in his pocket. 😊

crafty cat corner said...

I remember these patterns so well, I'm old enough to have knitted this type of thing, they were great. Wool was so cheap then and everyone could afford to buy it, now if you want to knit a top it costs and arm and a leg, such a shame.
I used to put the wool aside in the shop and buy it each week when I got paid. lol
Briony
x

kate steeper said...

i think theres a few in my collection , the blokes usually had a pipe

Polyester Princess said...

These are fabulous, Liz! I am neither a sewer nor a knitter, but would happily pick up vintage patterns at flea markets and in charity shops! xxx

Vix said...

I used to have an entire wool shop's stash of patterns from the 1940s to the 1970s, some of the images were hilarious! Still looking for one of the elusive patterns featuring Roger Moore! x

Julie said...

I have quite a few of my late MIL's patterns, those gentlemen look familiar, maybe I have that one or something similar they posed for

Lilbitbrit said...

I do love those old patterns, part of my childhood. Going to the wool shop with mum and looking through the patterns.