Monday 4 January 2021

Saltboxes

My cross stitch new start for 2021 is one of these lovely Autumn Saltboxes by Plum Street Samplers.  I think I may have mentioned before that I enjoy stitching houses.

I love the autumnal colours in this particular one.  I'm just using threads from my stash which match those in the picture - trying to use up what I've already got.  Perhaps it is my age (or the fact that I'm a thrifty Scot), but I am constantly amazed at the stitchers who buy all new threads when they start a project.  I can't believe how anyone can justify that when they may already have it.  Mind you, there are some people who have more that 50 stitching projects on the go at any one time, so perhaps it gets confusing as to what they do and don't have!

Anyway - did you know that a saltbox house is a particular style of New England house.  They were so named because of their resemblance to actual salt boxes.  You can tell a saltbox house by its asymetrical sloping roof.  I learn something every day!  You can read a good post about saltbox houses here.

Love, Liz

6 comments:

Crafty in the Med said...

I am glad you explained what saltboxes are when referring to houses. I have never heard the term before. I was about to look it up on google :-) Very neat start to your new project. I just couldn't have 50 or more projects on the go at the same time., It would drive me crazy...its bad enough having 3 crochet works in progress and I am itching to get on to another! In your previous post you mention you cannot reply to comments. That could be the New Blogger interface messing you about. Try logging out from your blog and logging back in that may do it or use a different browser to access your blog. That might be the problem. I have seen on google that a lot of bloggers have been having the same problem. keep well Amanda x

Miss Kim said...

What a lot of work it is to complete a cross stich project but in the end you have a beautiful piece of handmade art! I love the colours in this piece- so deep and warm. My mother loved embroidery and left me so many little boxes and tines overflowing with threads. I really should start using them!

Polyester Princess said...

I had no idea what a saltbox house was, so thank you for the explanation. The colours in your new project are delightful, and I love it that you are using threads from your stash. 50 or more projects at once, that really sounds quite mind-boggling! xxx

NanaDiana said...

I did know that about saltbox housing style as I did a lot of research on houses and have rehabbed several over the years.
I haven't done cross-stitch in years but I have always loved it.
Have a great week! xo Diana

Granny Marigold said...

Hi Liz, Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment.
Your new saltbox house cross stitch will look great once finished. You're off to a great start. I used to do a lot of cross stitch so I know how long it takes to do even a smallish area. What I enjoyed was doing samplers. My hands are rather crippled with arthritis now so stitching is not an option.

Kim said...

I have always loved the saltbox houses one sees in America. I watch a few American home shows on TV and I am always struck by the beauty and variety of your architecture. This new cross stitch of yours is lovely. Have a lovely time stitching it.