Monday 21 March 2022

Compare and contrast!

When I saw the back of my vintage sampler I was amazed at how bright the colours were compared to the front which had become faded with age.  Traditionally Scottish samplers were stitched in red and green with just a few other colours added.



I went through my DMC threads to see which matched most closely with the traditional colours on the sampler.  Then, of course, I had to try them out for myself to compare with the faded sampler.  The colours I chose were all DMC.  Red - 817, green - 905, blue - 798 and yellow - 743.

I stitched up this little mini-sampler for fun!  The outline and alphabet are a freebie from Stone Street Stitchworks - The Lacemaker's Cottage.  Check out their blog for some lovely patterns.  Then I copied a little motif of a bird and heart from the original sampler and finally added my initials and year.  I love how bright and cheery it is.  Just a little enjoyable experiment.

Love, Liz

3 comments:

Sue in Suffolk said...

I didn't know that about Scottish samplers being mainly red and green.
Love both your samplers - old and new

Polyester Princess said...

Love the mini sampler and how well the old one has been preserved. I also loved learning about the typical colours of Scottish samplers! xxx

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Your color choices are fabulous, Liz and the vintage one is gorgeous as well.