Friday 25 February 2011

My Granny

This is Lizzie - my Granny.

Lizzie - photo taken early 1950s


She was born in 1902 and died in 1997.
She and my Granda had a hard life, but they were wonderful people.



As I was looking at these photos recently, I noticed her handbag and had a rummage to find where I had put it.  I was given this handbag to play with when I was young.  I loved it because it made me feel grownup and the horse emblem used to be quite shiny. 



I would polish it when I was polishing my Brownie badge!



I hope one day (God willing) to have a grand-daughter that I can pass the bag on to.  I will also give her the photograph and tell her lovely stories about my Gran.


My lovely Gran!

Love, Liz

I was going to call this post "The Old Bag", but I thought that perhaps someone would not read it through and think the old bag was my Gran.  She'd have had something to say about that! (ha ha)

4 comments:

Sylvia said...

So nice that you have these pictures of your lovely grandparents and also your grandmother's handbag.
And that you played with the bag is such a lovely memory !
Your remark at the end makes me smile, my husband sometimes teases me and calls me an old bag :-)
Nice weekend, Liz !
Sylvia

Unknown said...

It's lovely that you have your Gran's handbag from the photo, she looks lovely. Life really is all about happy memories x Were you named after her?
Have a good weekend x

Shortbread and Ginger said...

Thanks for your comments - yes, I was named after both my Grannies - Elizabeth Margaret.
Royal names too ... !
Liz

Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

Ha! Old Bag! I think that would have been funny! But you're grandma was a beautiful woman. How nice that her purse brings back fond memories for you. Isn't it strange how mementoes can do that?

-Pam