Tuesday 8 February 2011

Victorian Home


We live in a two storey Victorian apartment built sometime in the 1860s.

It has lots of original Victorian decorative details.

Today I want to show you the ceiling rose and ornate cornicing in our drawing-room. 




 


This is the ceiling rose.  An ornate chandelier would probably once have hung here, powered by gas.




Did you know that there were ventilation grills in the central rose to take away the gas fumes.

This must have been the main reception room, as the detailing in the family room is a lot less ornate - I'll show you that another time.

I think that these details are really lovely, but as the ceilings are about 13 ft high, not very easy to keep dust-free!  (Well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)

I think Victorian builders and architects were absolutely amazing!

Love, Liz

4 comments:

Sindy said...

The Drawing Room--it sounds soooooo elegant! Indeed, it is. The original to the house decorative details are beautiful. Over 150 years old? WOW! Great photos, too, Liz.
Sindy :)

Catherine said...

I love all these beautiful details,i am waiting for the rest!love your flowers too, we are having a beautiful sunshine since two days...but in am in bed with flu!

Alison W said...

Your cornices and ceiling rose are in great condition....did you do any work to them apart from painting them? In our last house there were lovely cornices (one with thistles!)and a couple of nice ceiling roses - but they had bits missing. As I lay in bed and looked at one I always wondered how it could be made complete again; I'd visions of a large icing set filled with Polyfilla!

Shortbread and Ginger said...

Thanks for your comments. Luckily we haven't had to have any work done to them (yet). There are companies who will replace/repair cornicing, but I've heard that it is very expensive!
Liz