Sunday 24 April 2011

HMS Bounty Replica

One of the great things about living in a port town is that you never know what kind of ships might be visiting!


In the summer of 2009, HMS Bounty arrived at Customhouse Quay.  This is a replica of the original ship which was involved in the mutiny in Tahiti in 1789.



The replica was built in 1962 for the film "Mutiny on the Bounty" staring Marlon Brando.   I have to admit that the Clark Gable and Charles Laughton version is my favourite.


The ship has also appeared in other films, including Pirates of the Caribbean.  Absolutely beautiful - isn't she!


Greenock is one of the ports of call for the Tall Ships Race in July this year, which means that we will be absolutely full of wonderful sailing ships of all types - really looking forward to that - will take lots of pics.  My windows look onto the river so I'll have a brilliant view! 



I used to love the TV series "The Onedin Line" and always imagined sailing off into the sunset with the lovely theme music playing in the background!  Oh well, one can dream!  I think the theme music was from Spartacus by Khachaturian - even when I hear it now I still think of billowing sails!

Happy Easter!

Love, Liz

4 comments:

A Treasured Past said...

Hi Liz, I have had success using leaving a comment using Safari ...yay!

Wow, what a wonderful ship.

Happy Easter, Tam x

Vintage Sunday said...

What a treat to see this beauty, and how marvellous that you'll have such a great view of the Tall Ships Race! We had the replica of Captain Cook's Endeavour here in Sydney not that long ago, and loved going aboard ~ felt like we'd stepped back in time! Thank you for sharing these wonderful pictures! Love Brenda

Kylie said...

lucky you to have a window seat to all that sailing action.

Used-to-Bees said...

I love the sight of all the tall ships sailing close together too. I rather fancy sailing aboard one, but only in fair weather, thank you!
x