Thursday 17 November 2011

Make Your Own Telephone From Odds and Ends!

Yes - you can!


Not a difficult task according to the Collins Magazine for Boys and Girls! 
All you need is -


Wow - wonder if any little smarty-pants clever child actually made it?


I blogged about this magazine last month, but just showed you the fantastically detailed covers.  So I thought I'd now give you a peek at what's inside.  Here's a typical contents list - some famous authors in there.


Remember Worzel Gummidge - love this illustration!


The letters page is good  -  wonder what this writer became when he grew up!


There aren't many ads, but there are a few for bicycles - very cheery and healthy pursuit for girls, obviously!


Then again - there's this one.


Love the fact it says not to point the gun at anyone, yet, is it my imagination or is the picture of the gun pointing at the backs of the two schoolboys?!?!  Fab!

Love, Liz

ps - if anyone wants the complete instructions for the home-made telephone, email me and I'll send them!


Thanks to everyone for the fantastic comments about my decor dilemma.  Lots of brilliant ideas. Going to choose wallpaper at the weekend, so will let you know what I find.
Liz

9 comments:

sara said...

I've heard of make do and mend, but never instructions to make your own telephone, pretty amazing and I love the girls bike advert illustrations, very wholesome. x

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

I would have loved the idea of having a 'private line' and would no doubt have insisted that my parents obtain me all these things (sticky brown paper??), my 'yoghurt pots on a piece of string' never worked as well as I'd hoped!

Used-to-Bees said...

Ha! Love the letter - can't imagine any child EVER writing in such a tone, almost feel that one of the editorial team wrote it!!! I especially love the coloured bike ad, and I thought exactly the same as you about the air pistol one...Thanks for sharing!
x

Scarlett said...

Well i dont know about you but im certainly going to be making my own telephone over the xmas break ;o) hehe. Love the ads Scarlett x

blackenpot said...

Loved the home made telephone, we made litte things like that from empty match boxes. Love those old magazines.

Thank you for sharing.

Jem said...

Of COURSE she's cheerful, she does ride the best of all bicycles after all! ;-) Puts me in mind of all the cycling that went on in the Famous Five books!

Jem xXx

Celestial Charms said...

Cute ads. I really like the ballet school illustration!
Maureen

Catherine said...

Love the home made telephone!and the old adverts for bicycles.

Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

I love looking at old ads in magazines! Times were so different then. I bet a lot of boys built that phone!

-Pam