Wednesday 23 November 2011

Recall

Isn't it funny how a very simple sight or sound can instantly transport you back to your childhood?

Interesting quote from the book.
I was in town today, and on my way back to the bus stop in the town centre, heard a street-seller's shout.  I couldn't actually make out what he was saying, but I knew instantly that he was selling the local newspaper - the Greenock Telegraph.  It is known locally as the Tele, pronounced Tilly.

In the old days two editions of the paper were produced daily, so the street-sellers would shout -

"one a'clock Tilly, Telegraph" or "five a'clock Tilly, Telegraph"

usually with great gusto in a very gruff voice!  Today - the rhythm and intonation of the street-seller's shout were identical and I was back in 1960s Greenock!


I found this picture of a newspaper seller.  It is in an old book I've had for ages "Old Greenock Characters" by John Donald and published in 1920.  The wee man today had a pile of newspapers under his arm, just like this!  Paper Wullie was seemingly quite a local character in the 1880s. (No, I don't remember him - I'm not that old!).


I don't think the "type" has changed at all!  They are out in all weathers and always in the same place.  Very different from "Big Issue" sellers, the local guys are all real characters.  I suppose this tradition will eventually die out, but today, just for a few seconds I was back in a much pleasanter time.

Do you have any local characters?

Love, Liz

6 comments:

claire said...

what a great post! My town has lots of Charactors, theres the lady that spends all day every day walking around talking to every one in all the shops, cafes or sitting on a bench, and she used to be a recluse!
Then theres the man that has something wrong with the muscles in his neck so his neck is always turned slightly to the side, he rides a bycicle everywhere and a little dog in the basket :)

My dad was born in Greenock, Mum was born in Coatbridge,Airdree :)

Nicole said...

So true. Everything has a special flavor I'm childhood.

Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

It's nice that some things don't change much, and you are taken back to memories of your childhood because of it.

-Pam

Max said...

I remember old guys selling the sports paper in Rotherham where I grew up. It was like another language, or like horse racing commentators speech, totally untelligable ! (like my spelling today?!)

Celestial Charms said...

I don't see any characters in my part of town, but I remember one particular man when I was a child. He would ride his truck down our street once a week, with tins, pans, and utensils all hanging and clacking about. He would ring a bell and shout "knives, sharpen your knives." He would shout this over and over. He offered the service of sharpening your knives from the privacy of his truck. A few people did come out of their homes to give him some business. He was a bit scruffy, but very polite. I remember my grandmother saying how he was a throwback to the old peddler's from back in the day.
Loved your post today! I so enjoy thinking about childhood memories. They stay stored in our mind, laying dormant, until someone tweeks a memory. Like you did today!
Maureen

fabriquefantastique said...

we still have traditional knife grinders in the summer, some still on bikes.
lets not forget that other sensation that can instantly transport you.....smell