Saturday 3 December 2011

Transported!

If you are looking for a good book to snuggle up with over the festive period then I can thoroughly recommend -

Remember Me by Lesley Pearse.

Thanks to all my lovely bloggy friends who told me to try this book when I blogged about the novel Sara Dane by Catherine Gaskin.  I'm really glad you told me about this one.


Remember Me is based on the true story of the life of Mary Broad and set in the 1780s.  After stealing a few items, Mary is sentenced to the gallows, but this is then changed to transportation and she is sent out on the First Fleet to Botany Bay.  The descriptions of the prison conditions and then the account of life on the transport ship are vivid in their awfulness.  But life at Port Jackson, the first settlement, is equally bad.  Mary and her family plan a daring escape.  I won't go into more detail, in case you want to read the book for yourself!

You can read about Mary Broad here at the Australian Dictionary of Biography website.

So, thanks again all those who recommended that I read this book.

Love, Liz

6 comments:

Mum said...

I'll keep an eye out for this book. Recommendations are always useful when choosing reading material. Thanks.
Love from Mum
xx

blackenpot said...

Thank you for this recomandation, I'm currently looking for a new book. Just finished Catherine Cookson's The spaniards gift. I thought that was good.
Just back from England, good to see family again.

Enjoy your weekend.

sara said...

This book sounds like a fascinating read.........I love a good book to loose myself in over the christmas hols, will definitely look out for this one, thanks.
lily x

Anne said...

That book sounds really good liz. I am tracing my family tree and have found my 4x grandfather was transported to Aus in 1820. I think I am going to get it and it will probably give me a greater insight into what went on. Thanks for highlighting it.

Little Nell said...

Oh I’m glad you took up our recommendation Liz. I couldn’t put it down.

Jill said...

Thanks for coming over to my blog and the very nice comment regarding my Christmas Tree of Memories.

I've read just about all the Lesley Pearse books - love them all!!!