Friday 6 April 2012

The Flying Trapeze and A Wedding

I love the nurse and baby in this Michelin ad - so cute! 

Here's another great advert - she's one lucky girl - drop down door - hmm! 
I suppose that in 1947 to be getting a new cooker did indeed make you lucky!



All these pictures are from the Daily Mail of 20 and 21 November 1947 - when Princess Elizabeth married Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.  Doesn't she look positively glowing!


 I also found a few curious news items -


Eh?

This article about the "Flying Alzanas" really amazed me - so I did a bit of digging and found out that Harold (who had broken his back) actually survived and continued working, dying in 2001at the age of 82!  His sister was back in action seven months after the accident!  You can read about them here in an obituary from The Guardian - fascinating!

Do you remember my post about my show of presents - well, it looks like royalty did the same thing - except this one took up five rooms!  Rather strange collection of gifts!


Well, the war had just ended two years previously and there was still some rationing.

I'll end with another gorgeous picture of the lovely bride going off on her honeymoon.


Have a great weekend!

Love, Liz

11 comments:

Used-to-Bees said...

Love these little tastes of history! The Michelin nurse and baby are especially cute. Have a lovely weekend and a very Happy Easter!
x

Riitta Sinikka said...

Hello,Liz! I wish you a very happy Easter!

Little Nell said...

That was an interesting diversion, especially about the trapeze act.

Rose H (UK) said...

What an interesting Post Liz. My Nan had a cooker just like that one. How incredible that all the escapees were 6ft tall! And the Flying Alzanas made fascinating reading in the Guardian, here's me gets dizzy on the step stool!
Have a wonderful Easter.
Rose H
x

magda said...

Many thanks Liz for the so interesting history and nostalgic photo-trip!!!
I wish you a Happy Easter!
Best regards

Unknown said...

What wonderful pictures and memories. Goodness those circus people had a lucky escape. Have a lovely weekend, dee x

two bones and a bagle said...

How interesting I will research the Flying Alzanas as Maltby is about 6 miles away from where I live it was a mining community so not somewhere you would expect performers that appear in a circus in New York to come from. Happy Easter.

Kylie said...

Princess Elizabeth was beautiful Liz, I love that last pic. She looks so happy and natural.

Old advertisements are so interesting and quite often (unintentionally )funny.

A couple of years ago we were lucky enough to find two huge (really huge) vintage Michelin signs at a garage sale. They were from an old petrol station and we paid $20. An amazing bargain. They are so big though we haven't hung them yet. Hoping to get them up when our renos are done.

Happy Easter Liz x

My Vintage Mending said...

She was a beautiful bride...I would love to have a cooker like that. Only we call them stoves here in the states....Smiles..Renee

Danielle's Sweets said...

I love the wedding picture of Princess Elizabeth!

I hope you have a Happy Easter!

Danielle xo

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Elizabeth and Phillip were married the same year as my parents. I just love reading old newspapers.