Monday 28 May 2012

Edinburgh and Vintage

I couldn't have picked a better week to be in Edinburgh.  The weather was glorious!



Here are a few photographs of the closes on the Royal Mile - was surprised to find that some vintage signage was still visible!



Loved this building.


Top tips for shopping -

Princes Street                           Usual chain stores, street itself messy because of tram works.
George Street                          Lovely shops, but pricy!
Royal Mile                                Tartan tat!  I discovered a couple of charity shops here, but the prices were astronomical!

If you are just there for the weekend and don't have time to explore the outskirts of
Edinburgh, then Cockburn Street, just off the Royal Mile, is the best place to find
some lovely, quirky little shops. There are a few vintage shops there too.


Last Sunday I went to Judy's Affordable Vintage Fair in the HMV Picture House in
Edinburgh.  It was very busy - full of youngsters searching through the rails of vintage fashions.  The lighting inside the hall was terrible which spoiled it bit!  I bought a little vintage fabric pin badge and some homemade raspberry marshmallow - delicious!


Hope the weather is good where you are!

Love, Liz

13 comments:

Missy said...

One day I will go to Edinburgh! It looks so handsome.
x

Jem said...

Looks like you really did haves stunning weather for it! :-)

Jem xXx

Bijou Sugar-Socks said...

beautiful! thanks for the shopping tips :) who knows i might pass by edinburgh one of these days :)

Rachael said...

Edinburgh ranks up with Chicago on places i'd love to live! It's such a gorgeous city.

Protector of Vintage said...

I love when you post photos of such wonderful sites!!

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Loved Edingburg when I visited. Maybe it was getting in touch with my "homeland"!

Jacqui Wise said...

I love that building in your photo too! Such character. I've noticed that a lot of charity shops are charging too much now for some items. Luckily my local three, on the whole, are still reasonably priced although their prices have gone up over the past year. I rarely visit the Scope shop any more as their prices are ridiculous.

sky-blu-pink said...

I love Edinburgh! I haven't been for years, but I have played at the Festival in orchestras several times, and always had a wonderful stay.

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

Loved Edinburgh but had the exact same thoughts on the Royal Mile! The charity shop prices were insane - worse than central London!

vintage grey said...

Edinburgh looks beautiful, and what an amazing old building!! The vintage fair looks fun!! Homemade raspberry marshmallows? Yum!! xo Heather

lizzie said...

I went to Edinburgh last February. The weather was absolutely miserable! So consider yourself lucky ;)

xo, lizzie

Vintage Jane said...

So glad you had good weather. I have never visited but would love to do so ... one day! My parents have been a couple of times and loved it. Have a great weekend Liz. M x

Anonymous said...

Hi Liz,
I love Edinburgh!
Next year I will be back!
A beautiful city!
Greetings
Manuela