Sunday 13 May 2012

Empire Floral

I found this pretty little vintage Empire England china sauce boat in a local charity shop.


Actually, eagle-eyed bf noticed it first!  She's getting good!


I think it is too pretty to be a gravy boat - I can imagine it holding cream or a lovely raspberry coulis to pour over a scrummy dessert ... yum!


The little flowers are so sweet - think the blue one is a cornflower.  The dish has a lovely gilded edge, and I'm not sure if you will notice from the photographs, but there is a little raised design on the surface of the dish.


Really love this little scroll and flower detail.


Even the back stamp is lovely - do the figures 12-56 represent the month and year it was made?  Would like to know.

Love, Liz

Pop over to Flea Market Finds to see some other lovely thrifted things!

16 comments:

patchworkandlace said...

Hi thankyou for your lovely comments over on my blog ,im now a follower of yours too xxxxx lovely pics and blog xxx

My Vintage Mending said...

Liz you always find the most beautiful pieces...I can only imagine a table set with all your pieces...love these dainty flowers...smiles...Renee

Madison said...

Oh, that's lovely! I likey very much. Off to google the 12-56. It's a mystery worth solving.

Madison xxx

Madison said...

http://www.thepotteries.org/mark/e/empire.html

It says often the month and year are included in the backstamp. So I think it was made in December 1956.

Madison xxx

Shortbread and Ginger said...

Hi Madison - thanks for info!
Liz

polkadotpeticoat said...

Beautiful find...filled with flowers also!!

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

How pretty, yes that does look like a date?

MelMel said...

Lovely gravy boat...too pretty!
MX

Anonymous said...

So pretty lucky you!
Thea x

sky-blu-pink said...

Ooh! So lovely. I agree, certainly for a sweet sauce rather than gravy.

Rachael said...

Google is a wonder for dating things isn't it?! I managed to date some of the vintage crochet patterns I got yesterday all though the power of google. What the hell did we do before the internet?!

Miss Simmonds Says said...

I've got a fantastic (and expensive) book which is an index of backstamps up until the 60s so I'll have a look later for you. It's very pretty though isn't it?

Jacqui Wise said...

This really is a pretty jug.

Unknown said...

That is really pretty, dee x

orchid0324 said...

Dearest Liz,
Lovely china♡♡♡
You call it a sauce boat; I agree with you it is really lovely for gravy. Nice idea you have for it.
Thank you for the word♪
Love you always, xoxo Miyako*

Maria Andrade said...

Hi Liz,
I wish I had a charity shop nearby... :( .
You always show superb finds, like this gravy boat!
Well, there are plenty of antiques fairs here - every weekend - but it's not always easy to find a bargain...
Hugs