Wednesday 8 August 2012

I Can't Speak Right Now!

What ho, chaps!


This could be me (except it's a man and I don't have a moustache!) - I've totally lost my voice!  So if you find it .....  ha ha!!
 
Checked out my copy of Illustrated Family Doctor from the 1920s for some advice about coughs -


Not very reassuring!


How about some medicine -

I don't think so!

Actually feel fine apart from not being able to speak.  One look through this book made me feel much better.  Look at these poor kids!


Caption reads - "A whirlpool bath, taken by immersion or locally, helps in the restoration of wasted muscles."  Look at the wee soul on the right, he looks terrified!


Not too sure what this guy is thinking - would make a great caption competition, though!

 Love, Liz

13 comments:

sky-blu-pink said...

Hilarious! I suppose they worked for some! I love the lady's fearless attitude towards a Russian winter thanks to the miracle cure!Take care, and hope you can speak soon. x

sky-blu-pink said...

Hilarious! I trust you are not in any way tubercular, pneumonic or bronchitic. Get yourself some Miracle Balsalm of Aniseed from Mr Powell, and you'll be speaking and singing in no time! Take care x

Jem said...

I'm fairly keen on that chin bandage! I wonder whether it could be adapted by folks (like me) who aren't too keen on their chins as a form of disguise?! Hmmm

Jem xXx

P.S Feel better soon!

Jacqui Wise said...

Oh I do hope you feel better and find your voice again soon so you don't have to resort to any strange concoctions!

OhSoVintage said...

Good grief, hilarious!

Rose H (UK) said...

You may have lost your voice Liz, but you've certainly retained your sense of humour! Hope your voice returns soon :o)
{{Hugs}}
Rose H
x

Kylie said...

Oh dear Liz, poor you.
I hope you feel better and get your voice back soon.
Everyone is sick here, except me. Fingers-crossed it stays that way.
x

p.s. I hate to think what that man's got festering under his chin dressing...ewww!

My Vintage Mending said...

Feel better soon and for heavens sake stay away from that Whirlpool...smiles...Renee

vintage grey said...

Hope you feel better and find your voice!! Great images/photos! xo Heather

Anonymous said...

My voice comes and goes at the moment. I have had a cough for a couple of months, finally went to the docs and now have to use an inhaler twice a day for the damaged airways. The arrival of the heat ain't helping.

Little Nell said...

That whirlpool bath looks some form of torture! Has the chap with the other chap over his shoulder just rescued him do you think?

Bijou Sugar-Socks said...

LOL way too funny liz!!!!! especially the kids in the barrel! poor wee ones! ridiculous remedies from times past :) thanks for the laugh :)

Tammy's in Love said...

Oh, I'm laughing here already! The caption on the picture of the guy with a man slung over his shoulders:
"He ain't heavy, he's my brother," a 1970s song by Neil Diamond!