Wednesday 12 December 2012

Vintage Tins and Threads

More goodies from Pandora's Breadbin!

 
This is what lay underneath the magazines:-  A gorgeous vintage tin showing the Forth Rail Bridge and a fabric covered box.  Underneath those was this gorgeous little tin - its pattern and colours are still vivid and bright.  It once contained CWS (Co-Operative Wholesale Society) biscuits.  It was empty!

 
 
 
Now for the fabric covered box - I opened it up and wow!!!!

 
 
It was full of old reels of thread!  How wonderful is that?! 

 
My photography isn't good enough to let you see the lovely sheen on these threads - some have hardly faded.  The peacock blue and pink are particularly striking!  Wonder how old some of these are?

 
There were also some little pieces of the most delicate crochet.

 
This is the gift that just keep giving!!!!!!!!!!  Loads more to come - I haven't even explored the Forth Rail Bridge tin yet!!! 

Love, Liz

I remember when I first started blogging I would read posts about people coming across or being given the most marvellous vintage things and I used to think that I would never be so lucky.  Persevere!

17 comments:

Loo xx from Jumbles and Pompoms said...

Oh wow, Liz, the box and tin is are gorgeous. What a treasure trove of loveliness. xx

My Vintage Mending said...

I have a thing for tin and tin with sewing notions in them are even better..smiles..Renee

Vintage Bird Girl said...

Oh my I LOVE that tin with the birds on....it's a beauty!

Dawn said...

This is a wonderful surprise. Those little crochet pieces are adorable, I would have been so excited to have found this too. It's always the little things that get me. Nice to meet you and follow along with you, enjoying your blog. dawn suitcase vignettes

Attila said...

Lovely things! I have one of those CWS bird tins; it's been beside the bed for more years than I can remember.

gilly said...

Wow indeed - a real treasure trove!
xx

Anne said...

Fabulous find! Lucky you!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how much is coming out of this bread bin!! It is like Mary Poppins carpet bag... so much jealousy coming at you right now.

I am head over heals for the CWS tin, that pattern is incredible, so deserves displaying xx

Anna @ Miss Beatrix said...

It's like a time capsule, how special. Love the Forth Bridge tin, and there is something so magical about wooden cotton reels. Can't wait to see more!

Anna x

vintage grey said...

Such a pretty tin, and love all the spools and thread!!! Sweet treasures! xo Heather

sky-blu-pink said...

Bonus! Tins and haberdashery, perfect!

Claire said...

Beats winning the lotto methinks......
Love those old cotton reels and the threads are just beautiful......
That CWS tin is just stunning, the patten detail wow...
What a treasure trove Liz.....have fun.

Claire :}

skiourophile said...

Oh, I love tins and boxes. Perfect for hoarding! Lucky you.

Miss Simmonds Says said...

That bird tin is simply stunning, I love it! This bread bin has been a real Aladdin's cave of wondrous sewing things

gillyflower said...

Treasure!Lucky you!
Loving that fabric on the box!
Gill xx

Trudy said...

What, there's more?!

OP SHOP MAMA said...

How exciting! Love that tin and the bridge pic.. 100 years exactly! That's like a wierd time capsule situation..
Actually I really like the orange bread bin - my colours!