Monday 5 May 2014

Greenock Has Been Wiped Off the Map!

I picked up a brochure yesterday - it is called Welcome to Scotland.  However, I was shocked to discover that on the main map of central and southern Scotland - Greenock is not there!


The port of Greenock will welcome at least forty cruise ships this year bringing over 100,000 passengers and crew from all around the world.  Many will probably pick up this booklet at some point on their visit to Scotland, good luck to them if they try to find the port which welcomed them!  Greenock has truly disappeared off the map!


Port Glasgow which is home to the beautiful Newark Castle is missing too!


This is the year of Homecoming Scotland, which will attract many descendents of the Scottish Diaspora back to their ancestral homeland, anyone picking up this booklet will have a problem with the map if they try to find the place that thousands of families sailed from to start new lives overseas!


Ok - here's my map - here's where to find Greenock and Port Glasgow where you are sure of a wonderful welcome!
Love, Liz

10 comments:

Rachael said...

The White House released a map at the end of 2013 that missed out the entire Upper Peninsular of Michigan entirely off the map. It's a pretty big land mass to have missed off that's for sure!

Terra said...

That's good you are there to find a better map. Much of my career was spent working with maps so I cherish them and how important they are.

serendipity said...

How strange! My town of Basingstoke seems to have disappeared from Google maps too. It's "Town Centre" now!

Connie said...

Oh me oh my! You will have to stand on the shore in a bright tartan and wave the ships in. Or perhaps they have you on their GPS!!!

sky-blu-pink said...

Oh no! Thanks for your map!!

Paulette said...

That is very curious, a mistake or were these places intentionally left out? I'm sure the people who reside there will feel left out and a bit angry, I know I would.

Amy at love made my home said...

Well that is just strange!! How can somewhere just disappear off the map. I hope that it returns soon! xx

Robyn of Oz said...

Whoever is responsible for the map, I say poor form, Liz!
As a descendant of Scottish immigrants (they went from Treshnish on Mull to Iona before taking the plunge), I'm disappointed for Greenock and the Port. For some, it may prove a wee bit confusing.

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

I live in a place that is not on a map, too. Sometimes it is nice to be tucked away....xo Karen

September Violets said...

What a disappointing map! It would make me wonder what else is missing from it. Hopefully anyone coming to tour around will have a better source to guide them. Your town must be saturated with tourists in the summer. Wendy x