The Commando Memorial by sculptor Scott Sutherland was unveiled by the Queen Mother in 1952. Situated near Spean Bridge, it depicts three Commandos in World War II uniform gazing out across the countryside where Commando training took place. The Commando Basic Training Centre was established at Achnacarry Castle and the strict, hard training took place all over Lochaber.
Winston Churchill established the British Commandos in June 1940 as an elite force and this memorial is dedicated to them.
Around the Commando Memorial itself are lots of other memorials filled with flowers and unit badges. It is obviously a well visited place and of great sentiment to many who will never forget loved ones who died in the service of their country.
A very moving memorial in an unbelievably beautiful place.