Tuesday 21 July 2015

It was going to be turkey salad ...

Last night's tea (that's what some of us Scots call dinner) was going to be warm Parmesan crusted turkey steak with salad ........ but ........ yesterday the weather was terrible here in Greenock - it rained all day, and I had to put my lights on at 5.30 in the evening!  So, salad was out, something more comforting was needed for Hubby and I.  So I just decided to make something else using the two turkey steaks that I had available.  This is what I ended up with -


All I did was add some oil and butter to a pan and cooked finely chopped onion, carrot and celery.  I then added the turkey steaks which I had cubed and let them brown after which I added about a spoonful of flour and stirred to coat the stuff in the pan.  Made some chicken stock which I then added and let it bubble away slowly.  I chopped up some orange and red pepper and added to the pan. The whole thing was then put in the oven to stew.  Meanwhile I cooked some mushrooms with parsley and garlic.  Top Tip!  I like to cook my mushrooms separately and add at the last minute - that way they keep a lot of their size and flavour.  When the stew was ready I took it from the oven, added a good wedge of cream cheese and stirred through, then added the mushrooms and some frozen peas.  After that I just let it warm through on the hob.  (Foodie Bloggers be aware that you have nothing to fear from Shortbread & Ginger's meal posts - I don't know all the jargon and I rarely weigh anything!)



The perfect accompaniment - a recipe I had seen earlier on TV.  I don't usually watch daytime TV, but it was such a rotten day, I decided to give it a go.  I discovered "The Pioneer Woman" on the Food Network channel.  Ree had made some breakfast potatoes to feed her hungry family who were out on the ranch, working with the cattle.  I omitted the peppers, since I had already put some in the stew.  They turned out great!  The Pioneer Woman has a great web site with lots of fabulous recipes.


Hubby's verdict on the last minute meal - said he'd have it again anytime!  So that's something else to add to my easy mid-week meal collection.  Next time I might make dumplings with it!


Of course a little bit of vintage crockery does not go amiss!
Love, Liz

9 comments:

Mac n' Janet said...

Looks delicious, can almost smell it, will definitely give it a try. Love the plate you used, I think I recognize the pattern, its vintage isn't it?

Unknown said...

Hi, I like the recipe for the turkey stew and I'm certainly going to make it. Thanks for sharing. Have a nice day!

Vintage Jane said...

Looks delicious!

Mum said...

Oh my - where's the knife and fork - scrummy yummy.
xx

Linda said...

It's tea in the North East of England too - and that tea looks delicious. I often prefer this type of make-it-up-as-you-go cooking the only problem is I can rarely remember what I did so it can be difficult to replicate it. (One advantage of posting it on the blog is being able to record how you made it!0 XXX

Lilly's Mom said...

I was just going to remark about your lovely vintage dishes. How special to enjoy with such a delicious meal. I'm going to try your turkey recipe m it sounds delicious.

Chy said...

That looks amazing! Comforting and tasty, I'm sure. Love your dishes too. Very vintage!

Linda said...

It looks absolutely scrumptious, and your dishes are beautiful.

Sam - Raggedy Bits said...

Yummmo!! That looks delish! and perfectly executed on your vintage crockery!! Thank you for sharing :-)