Sunday 17 January 2016

Home made comfort food - just what we need!

Comfort food - home made meatballs in tomato sauce - yum!  That's what Hubby and I had for our tea (what us Scots call dinner) on Friday evening.


You don't need a lot to make this dish. I used up half a pack of minced pork that I had in the freezer.  (To be honest, I much prefer my meatballs made with pork sausagemeat.).  In a big bowl I mixed it with finely chopped onion, grated carrot and some breadcrumbs (also from the freezer).  



Also added an egg to bind them together and some salt and pepper.  I rolled the mixture into balls, shoogled them in a bit of flower and put them on a baking sheet in a pre-heated oven for about 20 minutes.


While they were cooking I made the tomato sauce.  I cut some lean smoked bacon in to small pieces and fried them in olive oil - this adds a lovely smoky flavour to your sauce.  To the pot I then added finely chopped onion, carrot and celery.  I let this cook for a wee while then added some flour, mixed well and allowed to cook.  


Then it was time for a  couple of glugs of red wine - used this to get all the lovely sediment at the bottom of the pot.  Once this was done I added a tin of chopped tomatoes, a chopped red pepper, crushed garlic, a dod of tomato puree, chopped basil and a teaspoon of sugar.  


Stirred well, seasoned and simmered for half an hour or so, this sauce is so easy and tastes delicious. It is also much better if you cook it either the day before or earlier in the day you wish to have it. Once cooked I took out half to freeze.


Cooking done well before lunch time, all I had to do when Hubby got home was to cook some pasta, reheat the sauce and meatballs, grate some Parmesan cheese and pour the wine.


We had this lovely meal with a side salad and some garlic bread.  Delicious!  Best of all I've got the other half in the freezer to have another night!

Love, Liz 

16 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

I have taken to doubling up on meals and utilising the freezer too. Those meatballs really do look good.

Unknown said...

Wow, that looks delicious, just my type of meal. You have really made me feel hungry. xx

Lilly's Mom said...

This looks delicious. Thank you so much for sharing the recipe. Have a great day, Pat

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Such pretty dishes, Liz! I can't eat pork {allergic} but beef would work as well I would think. Your dish sounds delicious and would make a nice meal with bread and salad. Thanks for sharing and enjoy your day.

Blessings from Canada,
Sandi

Deb said...

Love your dishes. So pretty.

Simple Living said...

Looks delicious, love the china x

Mum said...

That's my kind of meal. Delish.
xx

Julie said...

Yummy...delicious

Deborah Montgomery said...

This looks so delicious. I love how you styled all your pictures of your prep work, using vintage china and even a tea cup for your egg. Maybe I caught a few more Scottish words in your post -- a dod? shoogled? love that one.
It is very cold here in Michigan, U.S., and our "comfort food" tonight was bowls of homemade chili.

Mac n' Janet said...

It looks delicious and what a pretty bowl you served them in.

Christine M said...

Looks delicious, Liz. I love your plates. xx

Frances said...

Liz, your meatballs and sauce recipe is similar to the way that I prepare many of my meals. I loved your use of the word shoogled...would that be a word of Scottish heritage? I will definitely use it myself.

After a midday visit to The Museum of Modern Art, I came home to make a batch of lentil soup to see me through some after-work late suppers in the next few days. Tonight's supper was my own mash-up of chorizo sausage, carrots, onions, butter, parsley, potatoes and brussels sprouts. Oh, some additional black pepper and a bit of thyme. How those ingredients came together involved some boiling water for the potatoes and sprouts before they joined the rest of the mix in a cast iron skillet. It was hearty fare for an evening that saw a few snow flurries.

Best wishes.

Jacqui Wise said...

Looks very warming & comforting. Ideal for this cold weather! Trying to run my large, old chest freezer down at the moment which is in my shed so might try this. Unfortunately when it gets this cold though the door sometimes freezes so I might be going hungry.

Jo@awholeplotoflove said...

It looks very yummy, I love how you use your vintage china to serve your meal xx

Witchcrafted Life said...

This really (really) looks scrumptious. I can practically smell the heady, classic flavours of this stick-to-your-ribs dish wafting through the computer screen. Hmmn, I may just need a 4 am snack all of a sudden! :D

Big hugs & happy wishes for the coming week,
♥ Jessica

Lynne said...

Looking/sounding yummy . . .
Nice table for two . . .