Friday 18 January 2019

Reading and listening

I decided at the start of the year that I would read more fiction.  I usually enjoy non-fiction books more - especially anything to do with history.  A trawl of the charity shops in search of something I would want to read yielded no results, so drastic action was called for!


Dear reader - I went to the local library!!!!!  It is ages since I was in the library and I wasn't even sure if my card would still work.  But it did and I was, of course, spoiled for choice when it came to reading material - and all for free!  I had noted down the names of a few authors because I had read reviews of their books on other blogs.  Thank you Julie from Julie's Stitchyknitter Journal for recommending Barbara Erskine.  I chose "River of Destiny" and wasn't disappointed - I could hardly put this book down it was so good.


It is set in three different time periods, but it is easy to follow because there is a little picture before each change in time - Anglo Saxon (sword), Victorian (horseshoe) and present day (boat).  It is the story of a place over time and the people who lived there - very atmospheric and exciting.  I loved this book.


I also decided that every now and again I would "rescue" a CD (remember them?) from the back of the cupboard and listen again to the whole thing to remind myself why I purchased it.  My first choice was Beth Neilsen Chapman's "Deeper Still".  Oh gosh!  I had forgotten just how lovely some of the tracks were on this.  My favourite is "Every December Sky".  Some words from this -


How heavy the empty heart
How light the heart that's full

Isn't that so true?  It has been so relaxing listening to this CD while I've been knitting or sewing.

I've another library book to read this weekend and I'm off to raid the cupboard for another CD to rediscover.  Happy reading and listening!  Don't forget your local LIBRARY!

Love, Liz

5 comments:

Polyester Princess said...

That looks like an interesting novel, Liz. I'll put it on my list and see if it crosses my path in a charity shop. But I still have an enormous pile of books to be read. I've always been an avid reader but lately I seem to lack the time. I love your idea of rescuing CD's I haven't listened to for years. I might do the same with mine ... xxx

50 and counting said...

I love our library.

Can order on line and then just pick the items up from a reserved bookcase. Otherwise I wander the shelves and pick out more books than I can carry, lol.

I'm a lover of historical and crime fiction.

Crimson Kettle said...

The bonus to visiting the library is that you don't accumulate far to many books on your bookshelf and then have to decide which ones to get rid of! Barbara Erskine is a new Author to me, thanks for the tip.

Linda P said...

Barbara Erskine is an author new to me. I like novels set in the countryside with a mixture of the contemporary and past times. I shall make a note of her name although I have quite a few books of favourite authors reserved at the library right now! I too have been tidying and have put out some of my music CDs on the book shelf so that they're readily to hand instead of staying forgotten in a cupboard.

Julie said...

So pleased you enjoyed it. x