Thursday 24 January 2019

Scotland on TV

Many films and TV shows have been filmed in Scotland and there's a great locations guide which has been produced by Visit Scotland.


This  Visit Scotland booklet gives lots of information about TV programmes, both past and present, and their Scottish locations.  Again you can get all the information here from the Visit Scotland website.


Recently some scenes from the brilliant BBC crime drama series Shetland (staring the gorgeous Douglas Henshall) were filmed in Greenock.  I really enjoy this series and the gorgeous Scottish scenery is just stunning!

The Outlaw King and Mary Queen of Scots are two major films which have recently been released, both about aspects of Scotland's history and many scenes from them were filmed in Scotland.  Click on the links to find out more about their history,


Outlander, the Starz TV series, has been credited with increasing tourism to Scotland with Outlander fans wishing to visit the places they have seen in the series.  I picked up this fabulous A2 poster from the Visit Scotland tourist information shop in Perth (iCentre, Perth),  It gives a detailed map and lots of information about places where Outlander was filmed with lots of lovely photographs.  


You can download one for yourself from the Visit Scotland site (just click on the link).

Historic Scotland also has a great website where you can find out more about the historic places used in many great films and TV series.

If you are planning a short break or holiday in Scotland, both of these websites can give you lots of other information to help plan your trip.  Are you interested in all things Scottish?

6 comments:

Jules said...

The only relevant films I've seen are Trainspotting and The Angel's Share but I make the most of any opportunity to enjoy Scottish scenery. X

Polyester Princess said...

What an interesting booklet, Liz. I'd definitely use it if I were to visit Scotland. I was only in Scotland once, when I was 18, but my Dad was crazy about Scotland and visited a lot. So, any mention of Scotland makes me think of my Dad. xxx

Crimson Kettle said...

What a great idea. It's such a glorious place, ideal for all sorts of films like Local Hero from years back.

Rosie said...

Looks like an interesting guide. I love the Shetland serie sboth books and TV. I'd love to visit Scotland again one day:)

Julie said...

Outlander fan here, even DH is enjoying the TV series.
I love Shetland too.
A great booklet for visitors.

NanaDiana said...

That's a really interesting little book, Liz. I hope to visit Ireland and Scotland at some point in my life. xo Diana