Sunday 20 January 2019

So old school

Can you guess what this is?


It is part of a slide rule.  Remember briefly being taught about them in school, but was never all that interested.  Maths was certainly not my thing!  Wasn't much good at science either.  Slide rules were used for calculating ... things.


Could never get the hang of using the slide rule - far too complicated for my brain - even looks complicated, doesn't it?  Thank goodness for modern calculators!  Were you good at maths?

Love, Liz

7 comments:

Mum said...

Ah yes, I remember the slide rule and also the Mathematical tables where you could calculate tangents, sines and cosines. Never used them since.
xx

Amanda said...

My father was an engineer. In the days before calculators took over, he asked a new secretary to order a box of slide rules for the department. The order came back to him as questionable because the new gal had written it down as "sly drools."

Jules said...

I don't remember ever having used a slide rule. I've never been great at maths - I see numbers and panic. I could, however, spend ages looking at charts and graphs. X

Maggie said...

Hi, thanks for popping by my blog and leaving a comment, I'm so glad you did because it lead me to your lovely blog :-)

I remember having a slide rule at school, I also remember having a book of logarithms, never used either since, lol.

mamasmercantile said...

No, I was more English, my husband is into Maths and our youngest daughter has a maths degree and now teaches. I do remember the slide rule but haven't seen one for years. Would it be considered an antique these days?

Polyester Princess said...

I was absolutely terrible at maths, and just scraping by. I don't think I ever used a slide rule. Or maybe I was so traumatized by it that it was wiped from my memory completely ... xxx

Julie said...

and what about logarythmns .... when did you last use them?? LOL