I thought it would look good on a "driftwood" background, and fortunately Hubby found just the right bit of wood in his stash. See, it's not just us girls who have stashes of things that "might come in handy! I sponged the wood with some watered down white paint for effect. Two eyelets at the top with some white cord through them finished the look.
I've been getting a bit muddled while trying to finish off some of my projects, but Lynn on her blog, Happiness is Cross Stitching had a fabulous tutorial on how to add fabric to stitched pieces. She has lots of photographs to show how it is done and by following her instructions, I found it a lot easier to complete my sewing. Lynn's blog is really beautiful and she has a few free cross stitch patterns too, so check it out here.
The sewn piece is attached to the wood with velcro, which means that I can change the cross stitch anytime. I added my name to the back along with a little ribbon label. The inspiration for the lettering came from a Lizzie Kate pattern I stitched recently.