Monday 28 October 2019

Elegant Tat!

When I first saw this vintage brochure I had to look twice!  What!  A booklet about tat?  I usually think of the word tat as meaning cheap rubbish!


I doctored that picture a wee bit!


Well, it turns out not to be quite what I expected.  It is about the elegant art of tatting which produces a type of lace.  But my goodness - how elegant is this brochure!


Love this elegant hand - makes mine look like a bear's claw!


And of course, ladies, we most definitely keep our hats on when showing off our crafting efforts to our friends ... don't we?



The booklet was produced by Coats of Paisley - (a town about 20 miles from my hometown of Greenock) where their thread production began.


Ah well, back to my very unelegant tea cosies!  Are you an elegant crafter?

Love, Liz

4 comments:

Sheila said...

Am I an elegant crafter? That's a definite no....lol.

I watched a lady doing some tatting at a craft fair once and it just about fried my brain. It was very delicate so not really a craft for me.
Hugs-x-

Christina said...

I don't remember when the description "elegant" was last used to describe me (if ever).... I know someone who tats (is that the correct verb??), it is very intricate work.

50 and counting said...

I have the Canadian version of that booklet. It's a craft that's on my list of things I'd like to learn. But will probably never get to.

Crimson Kettle said...

Such a beautiful article, those were the days! My experience of tatting was on the train backwards and forwards to work making a mat.