Thursday 23 April 2020

Old home town cross stitch

I started this cross stitch "Old Nantucket" way back last year, but just finished it this week.  I am so pleased with how it turned out.


The pattern is by Little House Needleworks and is quite a large piece (249x153 stitches).  However I loved stitching it.


As many of you will know, I live in Greenock, a port on the River Clyde on the west coast of Scotland, so it made sense for me to change Nantucket for Greenock.  That way, the finished piece was so much more relevant to me.  The verse reads "To the journey's end ye roam upon the foaming sea.  Nantucket waits to see thy sails as my heart waits for thee." by Diane Williams of Little House Needleworks.  I wonder how many Greenock women waited anxiously to see the sails of their loved ones' ships.


The date of 1711 is relevant to Greenock too.  That's the date when Scott's Shipbuilders starting building ships in the town.  Their ships travelled all over the world, so I felt that was a really good date to put on the piece to make it even more relevant to my home town.


I hope you like it.  I'll get it framed professionally when we are able to get out and about again.  Can't wait to see it on my wall.


Stay safe and well and I hope you are enjoying crafting as much as I am.

Love, Liz

7 comments:

Julie said...

Your alterations to the piece are wonderful Liz.
I have such fond memories of the Clyde, we used to sit in my grandfathers front bay window and watch boats and submarines sail by at Innellan (near Dunoon)

Crimson Kettle said...

There's so much packed into that rectangle, a lovely design.

Polyester Princess said...

Well, of course it made perfect sense to change it to Greenock, and I'm sure you put your heart and soul into its creation even more as it's about your hometown! It'll look fabulous framed! xxx

NanaDiana said...

What a beautiful piece of needlework. I hope you are faring well. Our county is at the epicenter in the state of Wisconsin. Scary times. Hope you stay well- Hugs- Diana

Megan said...


I love your latest work ,it's just beautiful and I am really tempted to try it myself. I haven't done any stitching for years but now if ever is the time to do it. I lived in Glasgow for 8 years after I got married but when children came we moved back to Fife and we always meant to go down the Clyde but somehow never did. However 3 years ago we went on a short cruise to the Channel Islands and the Isles of Scilly and had the option of staying on an extra night and going up to Greenock to disembark then be driven home - we live in Llandudo in N.Wales now - and we are so glad we did. We arrived in the early morning and the scenery was just mindblowing, sailing up the river was such a pleasure,you are privileged to live in such a beautiful part of the country,I am not surprised you are so proud of your home town. We have been all round Scotland over the years and Snowdonia near us is beautiful too but we would love to come back to your area and stay longer,maybe next year when this is all over. Thank you for your inspiration,stay safe, Megan.

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

I really love this one, Liz...beautiful colors and graphics!

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

It's classy and I like the colors.
Blessings from Harvest Lane Cottage,
Laura