Monday 27 April 2020

Vintage Stitches by Penelope

I came across this wonderful vintage magazine among my collection.  It is "Stitches by Penelope" from The Book of "Hows" Series published by William Briggs & Co of Manchester.  The Company were a transfers and traced needlework manufacturers and had dealings with the J&P Coates Ltd, thread manufacturers of Paisley.


It would appear that this was published in 1943.  The cover picture is just gorgeous and inside it gives details of how to do lots of speciality stitches which you might find on a sampler.


There's a list of stitches at the end and they are all illustrated with instructions.


The back cover has an advertisement for Clark's Anchor embroidery threads.


This is actually a very useful little publication and one that I am going to keep and I'm sure I'll refer to it often.


Love, Liz

6 comments:

busybusybeejay said...

What a treasure.I have lots of vintage knitting patterns and am always interested when period dramas are on the TV and the cast are wearing knitted items.
Stay safe.Barbarax

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Looks like a lovely treasure trove of information!

Susanne said...

Lovely sampler there on the cover, and a couple of those stitches I had not heard of - but I am a beginner when it comes to embroidery.

Polyester Princess said...

What a wonderful find, Liz, and a great reference. I love any kind of vintage magazine, and the ads are a great part of the enjoyment! xxx

Angela Pitout said...

i love vintage magazines. Rob's mum found a value magazine deep in one of her boxes and gave it to me this weekend. i flipped through the pages and became nostalgic for days of my youth...

Julie said...

That publication is a treasure found, so useful and detailed.