The wooden box has a little glass shelf with wooden lid. It already came with some vintage sewing items in this, which is what I think made me buy the box in the first place - I had such plans for the inside (about eight years ago!). Anyway, I set to work.
|The box came with these already in the lid section.|
First thing I did was find a cross stitch piece that could fit on the inside of the lid. This stitched sewing machine which I probably did in the 90s fitted the bill perfectly. It was stitched on white Aida and looked a bit too "pristine" so I dunked it in some tea to "age" it slightly. Backed with some cardboard, it fitted perfectly and also acts as a pin cushion.
I lined the bottom of the box with some ginham fabric.
Next I made a little fob for my extra cross stitch scissors. Again it was something I had stitched years ago. So I just backed it with some floral fabric and added ribbon. I attached some safety pins so that I could always find them if necessary.
Next - an inch tape - held together with a pretty bow on an elastic band and some reels of thread.
Then a small pin cushion that I made years ago. I included two already threaded needles on this. I can cross stitch for hours each day, but when it comes to mending or taking up hems, that seems to take weeks for me to get around to. So I thought that if there was a needle already threaded - I might get things done a bit quicker!
So now, not only does the box look pretty, but it also is very useful. It contains everything I need to do a bit of mending if required. I'm quite pleased that I've accomplished a long overdue overhaul!
Such a cute sewing box.
You've definitely made that pretty box look even better! What a wonderful project! I've been discovering things I've forgotten about too during lockdown. xxx
A lovely box and filled with such delights. You did a great job.
Post a Comment