Sunday 31 January 2021

It's the little things!

Isn't it funny that sometimes it is the little things that bring back the best memories?  This little piece of ceramic, just over an inch high, brings back some lovely summer memories for me.  I keep it on my kitchen shelf so that I can see it every day.

It reminds me of a happy summer day with my husband and grandsons.  Walking along the beach, looking for "treasure" and paddling in the salty water.  Building sandcastles and making channels for the sea water to make a moat.  Having a picnic with those two happy, excited little boys - and finding this among the rocks on the beach.  Such a wonderful day.  I didn't take any photographs, but I don't need them - I have this tiny piece of ceramic "treasure" which brings it all back to me.  Such a wonderful day.

I think it is probably a fragment of a Holloway's Ointment jar.  I found an advertisement for Holloway's ointment in an old newspaper.  Sounds like wonderful stuff, doesn't it!  Thomas Holloway was a really interesting man and you can read a great article about him at Chertsey Museum's website here.  

Hope you have some little bits and pieces that bring back happy memories for you too.

Love, Liz

8 comments:

Daisy Debs said...

I have little treasures of broken history , shells , fossils and foraged seeds in every corner of every coat pocket and handbag too ! lol ! :)

Catherine said...

What a beautiful find !
It is so old and precious.
I’m sure it’s a lovely memory of your day out.
I have some little treasures myself that are very precious to me and bring back good souvenirs.
I hope you had a nice Sunday!
Catherine

Polyester Princess said...

What a wonderful find! I would definitely have kept and displayed that too. A lovely reminder of a most wonderful day! xxx

Olde Dame Holly said...

It sure does look like a shard of Holloway's. What a wonderful memory to have. I have some little tattered bits of things that I treasure, too. To others, they would appear to be trash, perhaps. A flattened penny, a china dog with the legs broken off, a small chalky white seashell. The stories behind them are why I treasure them...

Jane and Lance Hattatt said...

Darling Liz,

Your little treasure is delightful and how wonderful that it conjures up such happy memories for you.

Indeed, as the years go by, we are surrounded by an ever increasing number of mementos of so many people, places and events that we can never be alone. And, in these strange and difficult times, it is reassuring to think of happier days which will return.

Crafty in the Med said...

It is amazing what triggers our memories and brings flashbacks of those endearing moments in our life! Such a tiny piece of china but enormously significant in your memories. It does indeed look like a piece of an ointment jar; fascinating finding out more. Although I like others have a small collection of bits which remind me of various happy moments it is actually smells which jog my memory more than anything. My mother's soap, MIL's cologne,my father's constant use of Dettol, and so on :-) keep well Amanda x

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

What a charming little piece of pottery to find on the beach! So nicely worn down by the sea. Happy February days ahead! J.

Susanne said...

Good memories are healers of their own, don't you think. What a fine little find!